Trusting Online

• GilaMonster (6/25/2009)

Gaby Abed (6/25/2009)

I can only imagine the discussions that Paul and his wife, Kimberly Tripp[/url], have when they catch each other's mistakes, rare as they may be. Eventually will want to make it to a SQL conference and see them both present the same subject. I've heard they're quite spirited. 😀

It's ... an experience. Almost like it's a cross between a presentation and a comedy.

I take it that saying they may have "a difference of opinion" on various subjects is putting it mildly??

• Lynn Pettis (6/25/2009)

GilaMonster (6/25/2009)

Gaby Abed (6/25/2009)

I can only imagine the discussions that Paul and his wife, Kimberly Tripp[/url], have when they catch each other's mistakes, rare as they may be. Eventually will want to make it to a SQL conference and see them both present the same subject. I've heard they're quite spirited. 😀

It's ... an experience. Almost like it's a cross between a presentation and a comedy.

I take it that saying they may have "a difference of opinion" on various subjects is putting it mildly??

No, not really. More that they're perfectly at ease teasing each other on stage, while presenting

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • David Reed (6/25/2009)

So... what're you sayin', Steve? You don't trust me? :hehe:

Sure, far as I can throw you, which come to think about it, might be a good distance! 😛

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/25/2009)

David Reed (6/25/2009)

So... what're you sayin', Steve? You don't trust me? :hehe:

Sure, far as I can throw you, which come to think about it, might be a good distance! 😛

Geez, I haven't lost that much weight. Bring your sparring pads the next time you're on campus, sensei. We could even sell tickets for charity! :w00t:

• Ha!, you spar for real. I'm just an old geezer going through the motions.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/25/2009)

Ha!, you spar for real. I'm just an old geezer going through the motions.

Nah. I'll even wear the big, fat 16oz pillows on my mitts for ya'! We probably have headgear someplace or a Redman suit that we can borrow. It'll be gentle fun. Four or five 2-minute rounds... My broken ankle might even be healed by then! (I'm getting old. I healed a shattered femur faster than this stupid ankle... 20 years ago...)

• Trust is like respect earned not given but trust runs wide. Like Lynn said, you can trust your doctor with your health but not with your car or computer. I think, like everyone else here, that having had my trust abused in the past I might not trust so easily. To trust online, Steve, is definitely not the same as trusting otherwise. There are so many ways that a person can be ripped of online and for every solution there is a new way to rip people off. To trust database wise, I have seen a couple of people on SSC that I have trusted blindly and they have not let me down. The motto of Trust but verify! is not trust. I would say verify if you are not sure and then trust from there on.:w00t:

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Trust came up in another (not-SQL-related) conversation this morning... Do you consciously trust everyone? Or just implicitly do so without thinking about it? Such as vaccine manufactuters? Somebody else doesn't.

http://www.naturalnews.com/026503_pandemic_swine_flu_bioterrorism.html

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply