Truncating string Characters

• Hello All,

I’ve been researching this all morning and so far have not come up with a solution and thought I’d reach out to the experts.

I have a column where I want to return the information in that column up to a certain character. Below is an example of the type of data that exist in that column:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1

Microsoft Windows XP Professional|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2

I want the output to look like this:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

In my thinking, I know I have to truncate the data in that column probably using the ‘%:\%’ as the character to truncate everything from the right back to that character. The “C” could change, so I can’t use that for all records. But I can’t find anything on truncating characters, only truncating a log.

Any recommendation on how I achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ronnie

• Look up SUBSTRING, LEFT and CHARINDEX.

You're not finding anything for truncating a string, cause that's not what this is called.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You might want to test this.

DECLARE @String VARCHAR(200)

SET @String = 'Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1'

SELECT SUBSTRING(@String,1,PATINDEX ( '%|%' , @String) -1)

Result:

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I'm sure the experts have a faster way to do it, but this is what I came up with:

If Object_ID('dbo.StringTest') Is Not Null

Drop Table dbo.StringTest

Go

--------------------

Select 'Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1' As CheckString

Into dbo.StringTest

Union All

Select 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2'

Union All

Select 'Microsoft Windows :XP Professional|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2'

Go

--------------------

Select SubString(CheckString,1,Len(SubString(CheckString,1,CharIndex(':\',CheckString)-3)))

From dbo.StringTest

Go

--------------------

Drop Table dbo.StringTest

Go

Results Set:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Microsoft Windows :XP Professional

[font="Arial"]“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
    - Albert Einstein

"DOH!"
    - Homer Simpson[/font]

• Thank you all for your help and suggestions. This is good info. I am researching the functions that you've suggested to get a better understanding and will now add them to my arsenal of SQL techniques.

Thanks again!!

Ronnie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply