TRUNCATE in TRANSACTION

• UMG

But have you used 8" floppy disks?

They flew so much better across the data center. How about the 5MB platters used to make the disk packs?:-P

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

• got it wrong...

Din't focus on UNION.....

• UMG Developer (1/5/2011)

Koen (da-zero) (1/5/2011)

And I thought I was already "old" because I have used floppy disks 😀

8" single sided, 5" single sided single density, 5" double sided double density, 3 1/2" floppy 720K, 3 1/2" floppy 1.44M, 128M optical WORM drives, ZIP drives, and even cassette tape on my TRS80.

Have you ever punched a hole in a single sided disk where the write-protect tab goes to use the other side? I did that to save money when I was poor but then realized the disk spins backwards when you use the other side and the dust collectors built into the envelope puts the dust back on the disk when you do that.

I also used a soldering iron to burn holes in 720K 3.5" floppies to let them store 1.44M (unreliably of course)

• cengland0 (1/5/2011)

Yep, I've done both of those. Though at one point I got a tool to punch the 720k floppies. I never had problems with dust on punched 5.25" disks. It was just disappointing that once I got a double-sided drive that you couldn't read both sides. (Because of the reverse spinning.)

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/5/2011)

cengland0 (1/5/2011)

sjimmo (1/5/2011)

Nice way to make some feel soo old:hehe:

I agree. I was programming in the late 70's (not SQL) so I am way older but don't want to admit how much older. You can probably tell by my picture anyway.

Actually, I was programming at a young age.

Spin it however you want it, young 40+ years ago, AND programming, is still not young today :w00t:.

Sounds pretty young to me, though. Young in the late 70s probably means born after 1960. 😀

And if you call the late 70s 40+ years ago you are out of line with those of us who believe centuries have only 100 years :hehe:

Tom

• sjimmo (1/5/2011)

UMG

They flew so much better across the data center. How about the 5MB platters used to make the disk packs?:-P

5MB platters used to make disc packs? That's really modern stuff :Wow:! The platters used to make an exchangeable disc pack when I first came across one had much (a couple of decimal orders of magnitude) smaller storage capacity ;-).

Tom

• Oh, any my first modem was a 300 baud acoustic coupler.

Did you ever see the movie war games? They used one of those too. You take the receiver off the phone and place it in this device. What is so funny is that the movie used an automated dialer program to call all the numbers to find out which ones had modems answering so they can be hacked.

You cannot do that in real life with an acoustic coupler because you have to physically hang up the phone before you get another dial tone to dial another number.

Boy, I'm getting all nostalgic today. Those were the good ol' days. Thank you SQLServerCentral.com for the blast from the past.

• cengland0

Oh, any my first modem was a 300 baud acoustic coupler.

Did you ever see the movie war games? They used one of those too. You take the receiver off the phone and place it in this device. What is so funny is that the movie used an automated dialer program to call all the numbers to find out which ones had modems answering so they can be hacked.

You cannot do that in real life with an acoustic coupler because you have to physically hang up the phone before you get another dial tone to dial another number.

I too had the 300 bd modem, but yes - there was software that could both take and convert a number to both DTMF or pulse dial codes. There were disconnect codes that could be used to simulate a hang-up.

Are we hijacking this thread for nostalgia or what:hehe:

Haven't mentioned some of this stuff in years

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

• sjimmo (1/5/2011)

I too had the 300 bd modem, but yes - there was software that could both take and convert a number to both DTMF or pulse dial codes. There were disconnect codes that could be used to simulate a hang-up.

Are we hijacking this thread for nostalgia or what:hehe:

Haven't mentioned some of this stuff in years

I didn't know there was a disconnect tone until this very moment. I found a website that explains it. Of course my modem didn't support that tone so I didn't know about it.

http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/source/html/disconnectiondetect.htm#dtmf

Thank you very much. You made my day because I love learning new things. So this nostalgic thread was worthwhile for me.

• Tom.Thomson (1/5/2011)

sjimmo (1/5/2011)

UMG

5MB platters used to make disc packs? That's really modern stuff :Wow:! The platters used to make an exchangeable disc pack when I first came across one had much (a couple of decimal orders of magnitude) smaller storage capacity ;-).

Enjyoing every bit of the discussion here...I was a cobol/cics/idms programmer in the late nineties... and I used to think I was old 🙂 I mean I started late as well...

Tom I wanted to ask you...what does your signature mean? I am referring to these words below

Na tog mi gun tuit mi ach ma thuiteas tog!

Saurabh Dwivedy

My Blog: http://tinyurl.com/dwivedys

For better, quicker answers, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Be Happy!
  • Saurabh Dwivedy (1/5/2011)

Tom I wanted to ask you...what does your signature mean? I am referring to these words below

OK, here are two translations:-

(literal) Don't lift me without I fall but if will fall lift.

(real meaning) Don't correct me unless I'm wrong but when I'm wrong, do.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (1/6/2011)

Saurabh Dwivedy (1/5/2011)

OK, here are two translations:-

(literal) Don't lift me without I fall but if will fall lift.

(real meaning) Don't correct me unless I'm wrong but when I'm wrong, do.

Hey...thanks a lot! which language is this?

Saurabh Dwivedy

My Blog: http://tinyurl.com/dwivedys

For better, quicker answers, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Be Happy!
  • Saurabh Dwivedy (1/7/2011)

I thought it was Croation at first but now I have my doubts because I cannot find all the words in that language.

Perhaps it's some form of Cobol or Pascal? 😉

• Saurabh Dwivedy (1/7/2011)

Gàidhlig (aka Scottish Gaelic)

Tom

• Thanks for the trick question, I am glad someone dares to post questions to QotD.

/Håkan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply