TRUNCATE in TRANSACTION

• Thanks to all, I will try to provide suitable title next time..

-----------------
    Gobikannan

• Victor Kirkpatrick (1/5/2011)

Columns in the IN clause! 22 years of sql and that was a first. You're never too old to learn. Thanks!

Is SQL really THAT old? :hehe:

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/5/2011)

Victor Kirkpatrick (1/5/2011)

Columns in the IN clause! 22 years of sql and that was a first. You're never too old to learn. Thanks!

Is SQL really THAT old? :hehe:

I was wondering that too so I researched it. The relational model was described in a 1970 paper and SQL was developed in 1974 by IBM and was originally called SEQUEL (Structured English Query Language) but it was later discovered to be a trademarked name so it was changed to SQL.

The first commercial version of SQL was Oracle version 2 for VAX computers in 1979 (which beat IBM's release of System/38 RDBMS by about two months)

• Wow so basically sql, even 1st commercial release, is way older than me :w00t:

• And SEQUEL is exactly as old as I am 😛

• Ninja

Wow so basically sql, even 1st commercial release, is way older than me

Nice way to make some feel soo old:hehe:

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

• sjimmo (1/5/2011)

Ninja

Wow so basically sql, even 1st commercial release, is way older than me

:w00t: Now you know why I chose Anakin Skywalker as my avatar :hehe:.

• LOL, yes it's definitely that old. I started using SQL with INGRES back in '88. Just give me a cane, ehhh?

• sjimmo (1/5/2011)

I agree. I was programming in the late 70's (not SQL) so I am way older but don't want to admit how much older. You can probably tell by my picture anyway.

Actually, I was programming at a young age.

• cengland0 (1/5/2011)

sjimmo (1/5/2011)

I agree. I was programming in the late 70's (not SQL) so I am way older but don't want to admit how much older. You can probably tell by my picture anyway.

Actually, I was programming at a young age.

Spin it however you want it, young 40+ years ago, AND programming, is still not young today :w00t:.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/5/2011)

Spin it however you want it, young 40+ years ago, AND programming, is still not young today :w00t:.

My first exposure to computers was a mainframe using magnetic core memory. You saved your programs on punch tape (like punched cards but came on a roll and was only about 1" wide). It didn't have any CRTs and only had a teletype for an output.

• cengland0 (1/5/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (1/5/2011)

My first exposure to computers was a mainframe using magnetic core memory. You saved your programs on punch tape (like punched cards but came on a roll and was only about 1" wide). It didn't have any CRTs and only had a teletype for an output.

What the heck are you talking about? 😉

• cengland0

My first exposure to computers was a mainframe using magnetic core memory. You saved your programs on punch tape (like punched cards but came on a roll and was only about 1" wide). It didn't have any CRTs and only had a teletype for an output

Same here - actually thought that punch tape was a major improvement over card decks -especially if the operator was mad at you for something:-)

Started with SQL in 82 - Government job

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

• And I thought I was already "old" because I have used floppy disks 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen (da-zero) (1/5/2011)

And I thought I was already "old" because I have used floppy disks 😀

But have you used 8" floppy disks?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply