Trouble with opening sql files

• Hi all,

I am having a annoying issue..I have both SQL server 2000 and 2005 installed on my machine. When I try to open sql query file(.sql extensions) they are by default opening in sql server 2005. I majorly use 2000. I dint have this problem before installing 2005. Can anyone tell me where can I change teh settings so that whenever I open a sql file it opens in 2000 and not in 2005.

Any idea will be apprecaited.

• This is a setting for files on your system. When you install SQL Server 2005 tools, the .sql extension is linked to Management Studio. Note that this is a tool, it is not SQL Server 2005.

If you want to change this to Query Analyzer, then go into your Windows system and associate this file type with Query Analyzer.

• Hi Steve,

I really appreciate your reply,but could be more specific on where to find the tools in windows system..i fished into tools in sqlserver/90/tools but couldnt find anythign myself . 🙁

• here's the easiest way i know:

hold down shift, and right click on a .sql file.

select "Open With..Choose Program" from the context menu.

browse to the right folder, which is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn on my machine,either type "isqlw.exe" or select it.

when it returns fromt he browse, there is a checkbox at the bottom that says

"Always use this program to open this kind of file"

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thank you Lowell...Now all files open in 2000 query analyzer..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply