Trouble installing SS05 SP3 CU1

• I installed SP3 and version is 9.00.4035. System seems to run fine, though this is a test system and I have not yet fully tested it. I requested, downloaded, unzipped, and ran the SP3 - CU1 but neglected to turn on SMO and DMO XPs first The install was quick and successful but the system version is still at 4035 rather then 4207 which the KB 959195 says it should be.

So I enabled SMP and DMO XPs and reran the CU1 install. And version has not changed.

Do I have a problem, and how can I recover?

Thank you for assistance.

• Look in the Setup Bootstrap folder and locate the summary.txt file for the CU. What is contained in that file?

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• This is the section on the server engine from the SUMMARY.TXT file:

Product : Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)

Product Version (Previous): 4028

Product Version (Final) : 4035

Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB955706_sqlrun_sql.msp.log

Error Number : 3010

Error Description :

Looks to me like the install did nothing.

What now?

• Restart your sql server services and see if it then displays the right version.

MJ

• Version is still at 3042

Are there installation instructions I missed?

Thank you for your assistance -

Alan

• I am also facing a similiar problem. I installed SP3 on SQL server 2005 sp2. It appeared to be completed successfully. In log files and all it is showing setup completed sucessfully.

But when i check the version it is still showing 3042. Have you resolved this issue?

• No, this was never resolved. We have installed SP3 on our servers, and will not install the post-SP3 "CU" updates unless we find a specific problem they will solve. When I posted this we were beginning the SS05 - SP3 upgrade, and all our testing has gone well.

My problem was with the installation of the post-SP3 updates, and yours appears to be with the installation of SP3 itself.

I suggest that you stop all of the SS05 services and try the install of SP3 again. It feels like the issue might be with something getting in the way of the install. But this is a guess.

Good luck -

Alan Spillert

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply