Trouble BCPing text file dates into date type table columns

• Hi,

i'm using BCP to read data from a pipe delimited text file where some columns are dates in dd/mm/yyyy format, and using a format file generated by bcp for the destination table i'm squirting the data into.

i've made the destination sql table from the vendor's data dictionary/documentation that describes the file format, where some of the columns in the file are dates (no times), and so the corresponding column in the table is DATE datatype.

i used this command to create the format file:

bcp db.schema.mytable format nul -t"|" -T -c -f pathtoformatfile.txt -Smysqlinstance

...a sample of the format file produced from the above command (showing two date type columns)....

10  SQLCHAR     0   30  "|"  10  PCODE    Latin1_General_CI_AS
    11  SQLCHAR     0   11  "|"  11  PDATE    ""
    12  SQLCHAR     0   11  "|"  12  ODATE    ""
    13  SQLCHAR     0   1   "|"  13  TYPE     Latin1_General_CI_AS

when i run the bcp command to read the file, use the format file, and insert the data into the corressponding table, i get the followng error.

SQLState = 22005, NativeError = 0
    Error = [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server]Invalid character value for cast specification

if i change the table datatypes to varchar from date, then it works (even without reproducing a new format file).

what do i need to do to make it handle the dates in the file and bring them through as dates, into the data type columns in the table?

thanks

• is the source and destination on the same server or could you create a linked server if not? 

then insert from select ?

or you could try this as your BCP method Query out, this way you could set a default date or convert the data to always display a date and time 

set database=DNMANE

setServer=SERVERNAME

bcp "Select X,Y, DATEFEILED FROM database.dbo.tablename " queryout"MYTABLE.bcp" -E -n -T -S %SERVER%

***The first step is always the hardest *******

• thanks, but my source is a text file supplied by a 3rd party, something they produce. so i have no control over the production of that.
    i'm not bcp'ing out, i'm bcp'ing in.
    i'm playing about with different format files configs but having no luck so far.

• you could use bulk insert instead of BCP

i will send you an example via private message if i can

• thanks if you can, please do. i have started having a play with bulk insert...

• sent you a PM with a script i created to do a similar task

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply