TRIM() in T-SQL

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor

SSC Guru

Comments posted to this topic are about the item TRIM() in T-SQL

• DBA_Rob

Default port

Steve,
    Do you have an error in the first query under the 'Choosing what gets Trimmed' section?  Currently it shows the query as:
    SELECT Result = '[' + TRIM(n) + ']' ,
                  FirstLetter
    = ASCII(SUBSTRING(TRIM(n), 1, 1)),
                  LastLetter
    = ASCII(SUBSTRING(TRIM(n), LEN(TRIM(n)) - 1, 1))
    FROM( VALUES (',Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs ') ,

(',Texans, Jaguars, Colts, Titans, ' ) ,

('Steelers,Ravens,Browns,Bengals,') ,

(',Patriots,Dolphins,Bills,Jets'))
    AS a (n);
    GO

And the results show rows with missing commas at the beginning and end, but the actual TRIM commands "TRIM(n)"does not list that commas should be removed (which I think is what you intended).

An interesting new feature in SQL Server though, thanks for the article highlighting that it finally exists.

SSC Guru

Yep. Thanks, forgot the TRIM(',' FROM n) part.

• Alan Burstein

SSC Guru

I must admit, when I saw the title, TRIM() in T-SQL my first thought was, "boring!" 
    That said - I was quite impressed and found the article to be quite informative. Great work Steve.

-- Alan Burstein

Helpful links:Best practices for getting help on SQLServerCentral -- Jeff ModenHow to Post Performance Problems -- Gail ShawNasty fast set-based string manipulation functions:For splitting strings try DelimitedSplit8K or DelimitedSplit8K_LEAD (SQL Server 2012+)To split strings based on patterns try PatternSplitCMNeed to clean or transform a string? try NGrams, PatExclude8K, PatReplace8K, DigitsOnlyEE, or Translate8KI cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code.  -- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• MMartin1

One Orange Chip

AS I dont have version 2017, will it remove two leading or trailing commas instead of one as you showed in your example. Would it Remove two leading 'patriots' in the string?
    Thanks, great article

----------------------------------------------------
    How to post forum questions to get the best help [/url]

SSC Guru

• HansVE

Mr or Mrs. 500

"I don't know why they made this decision instead of structuring things like this..."
    Because ANSI SQL.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply