Triggers SQL Server (Please Help!)

• I have two tables within a database Ticket and TicketH. I have an Insert and Update Trigger that copies the record in Ticket to TicketH. There is only one difference in Ticket and TicketH, TicketH has a seqNbr field. I want this field to increment based on the TicketID for example:

TicketID (Ticket Table)

TicketID (TicketH Table) seqNbr(TicketH)

1000                                        0           Insert

1000                                        1           Update

1000                                        2           Update

In need this to run either as part of the trigger or a UDF that can run at the beginng of the Trigger.

Thank you in advance!

• Not sure that I follow the process. Do you want to automatically create a record in TicketH whenever one is added or amended in Ticket? Is SeqNbr just an ascending field within each TicketID? Can you post your existing trigger here?

Cheers

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• So basically then TicketH is to be an audit trail of inserts and updates done to the Ticket table and both the Insert and Update triggers will add a new record to TicketH, correct?

If so then both the Insert and Update triggers should be the same and just have something like;

INSERT INTO TicketH ( TicketID, SeqNbr, <other fields> )
    SELECT TicketID,
               (IsNull((Select Max(SeqNbr) From TicketH h Where h.TicketID = i.TicketID), 0)+1),
               <other fields>
    FROM inserted i

Does that cover it?

• Dan,

That looks like exactly what I need, but I am getting a syntax error somewhere near the from clause. Below is the trigger.

********Update Trigger with auto increment

CREATE TRIGGER [TicketHUP] ON [dbo].[Ticket]

AFTER UPDATE

AS

INSERT TicketH (TicketID, SeqNbr, Priority,  NAMEL, NAMEF, NetName, PCSerial,

Room, WD, Ring, NetworkPrinter_1, ZUSER, PIN, MMS, AMS,

PH_NO, PH_EXT, Date_Recieved, Problem_Description,

Problem_Category, CapersTktNum, Problem_Tech_Update,

Problem_Update_Date, Closed, Date_Closed, Closed_By,

Res_Code, Office, SPA, EmailFLG, Tech_Queue, Assigned_By,

HDUser, Sub_Category)

SELECT TicketID, (IsNull((Select Max(SeqNbr) From TicketH h Where h.TicketID = i.TicketID), 0)+1),

Priority, NAMEL, NAMEF, NetName, PCSerial, Room, WD, Ring, NetworkPrinter_1,

ZUSER, PIN, MMS, AMS, PH_NO, PH_EXT, Date_Recieved, Problem_Description,

Problem_Category, CapersTktNum, Problem_Tech_Update, Problem_Update_Date,

Closed, Date_Closed, Closed_By, Res_Code, Office, SPA, EmailFLG,

Tech_Queue, Assigned_By, HDUser, Sub_Category

FROM inserted

• You have missed the alias for the "inserted" table;

FROM inserted i

Does that cure it?

• I tried it that way too, that doesn't work either I know it has to be something small I am missing.

• Ok, well the alias "i" must be included as that is being referenced to get the maximum sequence number in this step:

(IsNull((Select Max(SeqNbr) From TicketH h Where h.TicketID = i.TicketID), 0)+1)

What is the error you are getting?

• Dan I tried it again and it WORKED!!!

Dan your the man!!! Thank you so much!

• No problems, glad to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply