Trigger to send an email when ever a table is updated

• hi all

i want to monitor a table for any changes (update, create , delete) and send an email when ever there is a change. in the email i would want some of the fields that were changed or created.

is a trigger the best option? and if so can anyone point me in the right direction as im pretty new to SQL programming?

• If your requirement is to send out the mail for every insert/update/delete it may slow down your application performance if number of transactions are high.

If number of transactions to this table is low trigger is suitable option.

Are you talking about "create" also? I guess this is insert.

• hi Vidya

i actually only want to email on a create and delete. It is a stock table so really it should not have that many creates or deletes.

i am trying the below example, but, see where the If statement > 1000, if i omit this will i get all entries?

CREATE TRIGGER expensiveInventoryMailer ON dbo.inventory AFTER INSERT AS

DECLARE @price money

DECLARE @item varchar(50)

SET @price = (SELECT price FROM inserted)

SET @item = (SELECT item FROM inserted)

IF @price >= 1000

BEGIN

DECLARE @msg varchar(500)

SET @msg = 'Expensive item "' + @item + '" entered into inventory at $' + CAST(@price as varchar(10)) + '.'

--// CHANGE THE VALUE FOR @recipients

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail @recipients=N'manager@domain.com', @body= @msg, @subject = 'SQL Server Trigger Mail', @profile_name = 'DBMailProfile'

END

GO

• From the above code you would get either one mail or no mail at all. You will have to use a cursor or a While loop to loop through all the records.

Kingston Dhasian

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• really?

my thinking was the trigger would only be activated upon a new entry being CREATED?

why would i want to loop through all the records when i only want the new record?

• I meant all the records that are inserted. You can have a statement that inserts 10 records or deletes 10 records at one go. Even in that case you would either get one mail or no mail at all.

Kingston Dhasian

• This trigger is fine. It should send the mail for each insert statement. In SQL Server trigger is fired at statement level.

If number of rows afftected(in update or delete opertaion) or inserted (using insert into select statement) are more than 1 then looping is reqired.

• vidya_pande (3/29/2010)

This trigger is fine. It should send the mail for each insert statement. In SQL Server trigger is fired at statement level.

If number of rows afftected(in update or delete opertaion) or inserted (using insert into select statement) are more than 1 then looping is reqired.

Thats what i said. But we should always assume that If something can happen it will happen

Kingston Dhasian

• oh sorry i understand now

should not be a problem as you can only create or delete a product one at a time!

how can i check if a mail account has already been configured on the sql instance as when i do an update on the table i get an error stating xp sendmail is disabled, but i know that people already getting emails based on other certain table events. And i dont want undo any configurations by setting it up again!

• its ok, iv got it working !

thanks all for your help!

i must keep in mind what you say about multiple records tho!

• sorry one more question!

in the trigger i am setting the email body as below

set @msg = 'New Item created with a Product Code' "+ @StockCode +" ' and a description' "+ @Description +'''.'

but this does not work? stating error at @stockcode

how do i define fields that i am passing into the message?

• looks like it's just a syntax error because of some double quotes; the double quotesd belong inside the single quotes to create the string.

assuming you wanted double quotes around the description, this should work:

set @msg = 'New Item created with a Product Code of "' + @StockCode + '" and a description "' + @Description +'".'

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• cheers, thats it!

only thing now, if i have the fields defined as eg varchar(10)

i get

New Item created with a Product Code"PT123 "and a description"testpart ".

where i am getting spaces to fill the length!

can i get rid of that?

• well, somehwere in your code, you have these two variables declared; just change their definition to a bigger value:(and make sure @msg is HUGE to hold the concat of these two)

now if the TABLE column definition is small, you'll need to fix that seperately.

ie

DECLARE @msg VARCHAR(8000)

DECLARE @StockCode VARCHAR (200)

DECLARE @Description VARCHAR(1000)

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• sorry misunderstanding i think

i am getting

New Item created with a Product Code"PT123 "and a description"testpart ".

where the field placeholders are giving me spaces due to the varchar size

but i guess i just need to lpad these?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply