Trigger Question - Update not working for my situation

• Okay - I have an ERP application that I am trying to write a SQL trigger for.

I'm trying to write a record to a SQL Table whenever an existing record/field is updated by the end user.

Here's my script so far:

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[X_POPREQUIREDDATECHANGE] on [dbo].[POP10110]

FOR UPDATE AS

---SET NOCOUNT ON

IF UPDATE(REQDATE)

Insert INTO [dbo].[X_POPDateChange]

(PONUMBER, ITEMNUMBER,ITEMDESC,QTY,UOFM,REQUESTBY,OLDDATE,NEWDATE,CHANGEDATE)

SELECT PONUMBER, ITEMNMBR, ITEMDESC, QTYORDER, UOFM,

REQSTDBY, deleted.REQDATE, REQDATE, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) FROM deleted

where NONINVEN='0'

BEGIN

Update X_POPDateChange set NEWDATE=inserted.REQDATE

from inserted

END

GO

The trigger does work except that it creates/inserts a record every time a new PO Record is created. I know why it does it - it's because the ERP Application populates the table when the end user opens the PO Entry window with a default date in the REQDATE field - the end user then changes the system defaulted date and the trigger fires and populates the custom table.

My script needs to be altered to include some kind of 'IF EXISTS' logic - but I've never seen or used that type of logic before in my type scenario - I definitely need to populate a custom table but only if an existing record in the POP10100 table gets altered.............

Any thoughts would be appreciated.........

• Assuming the PK of [dbo].[POP10110] is (PONUMBER, ITEMNMBR), try playing with the following:

SET ANSI_NULLS, QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[X_POPREQUIREDDATECHANGE]

ON [dbo].[POP10110]

AFTER UPDATE

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT, XACT_ABORT ON;

INSERT INTO [dbo].[X_POPDateChange]

(PONUMBER, ITEMNUMBER, ITEMDESC, QTY, UOFM, REQUESTBY, OLDDATE, NEWDATE, CHANGEDATE)

SELECT D.PONUMBER, D.ITEMNUMBER, D.ITEMDESC, D.QTY, D.UOFM, D.REQUESTBY, D.REQDATE, I.REQDATE, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

FROM inserted I

JOIN deleted D

ON I.PONUMBER = D.PONUMBER

AND I.ITEMNMBR = D.ITEMNMBR

WHERE I.REQDATE <> D.REQDATE

--AND D.REQDATE <> 'system defaulted date'

AND D.NONINVEN = '0';

END

GO

• SQL programmers hate triggers, because they are procedural code and this is a declarative language. Anything you can do to avoid them is good. But I also see you do not know the difference between a row and a record or a column in a field. These are fundamental RDBMS concepts.

Unless you really want to go to jail auditing should be done with a third-party package that sits outside the database. That way accidents inside the database will not destroy the audit trail. But best of all, since this has come from an outside vendor you are not legally responsible (ROI these days means "risk of incarceration"). Part of my consulting is as an "expert witness" 😉

Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing
    Analytics and OLAP in SQL
    Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice
    Data, Measurements and Standards in SQL
    SQL for Smarties
    SQL Programming Style
    SQL Puzzles and Answers
    Thinking in Sets
    Trees and Hierarchies in SQL

• Why do you need this part?

BEGIN

Update X_POPDateChange set NEWDATE=inserted.REQDATE

from inserted

END

I believe it can be simply removed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply