ON eStore_CatalogProducts

FOR UPDATE

AS

UPDATE eStore_CatalogProducts

SET AvailableFrom = '2040-01-01'

WHERE CanBeOrdered = 'Nej'

AND StockValue <1;

GO

When I did an update with Query analyzer to test the trigger I got the error message

Maximum stored procedure, function, trigger, or view nesting level exceeded (limit 32).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Henrik

• You need to set the nested triggers option of server configuration settings to 0 to stop the engine from executing the trigger recursively using the following snippet...

USE master;

GO

EXEC sp_configure 'nested triggers', '0';

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE;

--Ramesh

• Thank you. It solved my problem.

• It solved your problem, but I don't think it does what you want it to do. Your trigger is affecting EVERY ROW of the table regardless of which rows were updated. I would think you would only want to update the updated rows.

JimFive

• You can also specify which columns to check for UPDATE on.

Then there will be no nested triggers at all!

CREATE TRIGGER trRestorder ON eStore_CatalogProducts

FOR UPDATE

AS

IF UPDATE(CanBeOrdered) OR UPDATE(StockValue)

UPDATEcp

SETcp.AvailableFrom = '20400101'

FROMeStore_CatalogProducts AS cp

INNER JOININSERTED AS i ON i.PkCol = cp.PkCol

WHEREi.CanBeOrdered = 'Nej'

AND i.StockValue < 1

GO

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• You can also test the trigger recursion with function trigger_nestlevel (see BOL) and stop recursion when the nest level exceeds 0. This method is specific to 1 trigger only and does not affect the recursion of other triggers.

Cheers,

Win

• I create a delete trigger in Table1, if ever i will delete certain record it will also delete that record in Table2. And in Table2 also i created a delete trigger which also performs the same as delete trigger in Table1. If you delete a certain record it will also delete that record in Table1. But when i delete certain record it will create an error "Maximum stored procedure, function, trigger, or view nesting level exceeded (limit 32).". can you help me on this?

• In your TRIGGER at the begining

do something like this:

IF @@NESTED_LEVEL > 1

BEGIN

RETURN

END

* Noel

• I cannot judge whether your circular relationship between tables 1 and 2 is a good thing. To stop the recursion I would use Noeld's construct, but with function trigger_nestlevel( object_ID('triggername')).

In the trigger for table 1 use:

if trigger_nestlevel( object_ID('table_2_trigger')) > 1

return

In the trigger for table 2 use:

if trigger_nestlevel( object_ID('table_1_trigger')) > 1

return

@@nestlevel also counts active procedures. If your delete in table 1 is called by a general procedure (not a trigger) the trigger will terminate before it can carry out a cascading delete on table 2.

Cheers,

Win

• thanks for the help 😀

• thanks for the help 😀

• Thanks a lot for this post, It solved all the problems that I had with my Triggers and PROCs 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply