Trial ISO at MSDN site corrupt - is there a good one out there?

• I wanted to install the 180 day trial on my machine at home but the ISO I downloaded from MSDN a few days ago is corrupt (one of the msi files in it is corrupt and doesn't execute). Google searching showed that other people have had similar problems with this ISO, and those were solved by "having a proven ISO" but I didn't find a link to anywhere but the MSDN page where the bad one exists. I am not looking for something that is illegitimate, but does anyone know if is there a bonafide working ISO for the Katmai trial edition available anywhere and if so could they point me to it?

If anyone from MS's Katmai team is reading this, might I humbly suggest you fix this problem if you want people to evaluate your software... Right now my evaluation isn't so positive given how long it takes to download the ISO that doesn't actually work :p

--
    Anye Mercy
    "Service Unavailable is not an Error" -- John, ENOM support
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• Interesting, my trial download of SQL 2008 Enterprise ISO worked fine (I can unzip it to a folder and install too, instead of mount the ISO)

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/try-it.aspx

Alternative is to buy the SQL 2008 developer edition for about $50 USD

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • Did you use the developer link or the IT professional link? That's the site I downloaded from but I did the Developer link. Also there are x64, x86 and IA64 editions, maybe only the x86 is bad? Hmm...

Normally I'd just pop for the $50 but times are tough right now.

--
    Anye Mercy
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• Ok, just so anyone else who hits this issue knows - if you use the link Jerry gives above, the download for "IT Professionals" for x86 (which points to the TechEd site) does allow you to download a working ISO file. The download for "Developers" (which points to MSDN) gives you the corrupt one.

The download for IT professionals does appear to include anything a developer would need, so I'm really not sure why they put the ISO in two places in the first place unless they just wanted to lighten the download-load on both sites.

--
    Anye Mercy

• I suppose

Standard ISO (IT Pro) is the 180-day Enterprise edition trial

Developer will lead you to MSDN, and probably the free Developer edition ISO (same feature as Enterprise, licensed for Development only)?

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply