Transparent database encryption

• SQLRNNR (7/5/2011)

SQLRNNR (7/5/2011)

Nice question Gail. Can you give us something harder? 😉

Can't win them all...

If you want... I have a log internals question that I can submit. The chance of anyone getting it right except by guessing however is minimal...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/5/2011)

SQLRNNR (7/5/2011)

SQLRNNR (7/5/2011)

Nice question Gail. Can you give us something harder? 😉

Can't win them all...

If you want... I have a log internals question that I can submit. The chance of anyone getting it right except by guessing however is minimal...

<devil advocate> Awesome </devil>

Even if I do miss it. I would learn something. Heck, I wouldn't even have a problem admitting that I missed it 😉

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Ok. I'll write it up (carefully). You're warned...

Not really useful information for most people. Internals stuff.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (7/5/2011)

Ok. I'll write it up (carefully). You're warned...

Not really useful information for most people. Internals stuff.

Want me to review it for you??¿:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• ako58 (7/5/2011)

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v10/MS.SQLSVR.v10.en/s10de_4deptrbl/html/c75d0d4b-4008-4e71-9a9d-cee2a566bd3b.htm

The pages in an encrypted database are encrypted before they are written to disk and decrypted when read into memory

Yep, thought that was the answer too.

Question asked:

"If you enable transparent database encryption in your database, when is THE PAGE encrypted?" (Emphasis added)

So, lead me to believe the question was referring to a dirty page, as opposed to the intent of the reference cited for the correct answer:

"The server starts a background thread (called the encryption scan or scan) that scans all database files and encrypts them (or decrypts them if you are disabling TDE). "

Imagine the difference in the number of wrong answers if the question was more in line with the reference used:

"If you enable transparent database encryption in your database, when is THE DATABASE encrypted?" (Emphasis added)

While I appreciate the poster's efforts, I can't applaud this as a great question.

Here's a thought, how about a small (10 or less) person question review panel to spot problems with questions BEFORE they are posted. That would be a check on the ever-present problem with these questions?

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Thomas Abraham (7/5/2011)

Here's a thought, how about a small (10 or less) person question review panel to spot problems with questions BEFORE they are posted. That would be a check on the ever-present problem with these questions?

Here's a better thought. Make sure that the question is NOT edited before being posted, or if it is, confirm with the author that it's still right. What I submitted was:

"When enabling TDE, when are the pages encrypted?"

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (7/5/2011)

Thomas Abraham (7/5/2011)

Here's a better thought. Make sure that the question is NOT edited before being posted, or if it is, confirm with the author that it's still right. What I submitted was:

"When enabling TDE, when are the pages encrypted?"

Um, flaming the wrong person here?

If your question was edited, flame the editor. I was offering what I thought was a constructive way to solve the problem. How am I supposed to know that your question was edited? All I can answer is the question that shows up on the screen.

So, I'm thinking your sarcasm wasn't funny or necessary.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]

ako58 (7/5/2011)

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v10/MS.SQLSVR.v10.en/s10de_4deptrbl/html/c75d0d4b-4008-4e71-9a9d-cee2a566bd3b.htm

While I appreciate the poster's efforts, I can't applaud this as a great question.

Here is another thought. Try submitting a question. Ask Gail about the process used by her and some of the other SQL professionals and writers that post questions use to check them. 😛

This is one of the few places you can talk directly to or be heard by some of the BEST and brightest SQL professionals on the planet. Do we need to make it more dificult for them to share information than it already is? :w00t:

I have never learned nothing from a QOTD, sure that you can say the same.

I learn the most when I get to question the question myself in an open forum discussion.

I would not like losing that. 😉

IMHO: I'm thinking sarcasm is always humorous to those that understand it, and humor it always necessary. :Wow:

Maybe after you submit a question and ask 10 or less people to read it first and have it edited without review like you sugested, you will understand Gail's response and find it as absolutely hilarious as I did. :satisfied:

or maybe not... :rolleyes:

• SanDroid (7/5/2011)

IMHO: I'm thinking sarcasm is always humorous to those that understand it, and humor it always necessary. :Wow:

Maybe after you submit a question and ask 10 or less people to read it first and have it edited without review like you sugested, you will understand Gail's response and find it as absolutely hilarious as I did. :satisfied:

Sarcasm can be fun. I have no problem with that. But I still don't understand why I was flamed for making an honest attempt to improve the situation. Maybe not a good one, but certainly not one that should have, IMHO, provoked the kind of response I got. I understand Gail's anger. But why take it out on me. Or is this just a problem with a guy that hasn't been here forever commenting on something done by an old timer (meant respectfully)? I'm not allowed to comment on questions or the process until I've posted 10 myself?

• SanDroid (7/5/2011)

Still don't understand why you're taking me to task when I wasn't the one that rephrased Gail's question. If that's not done, this whole discussion it moot. Must be a lot of people on these groups with repressed anger issues. (Sarcasm intended.)

But I still don't understand why I was flamed for making an honest attempt to improve the situation.

You considered that a flame? Really??

That was an (obviously poor) attempt at a bit of a joke mixed with a serious suggestion. btw, the first time I saw the question as published was when I check up on it post your reply. Still haven't got around to reading the newsletter.

Gail Shaw

SanDroid (7/5/2011)

Sarcasm can be fun. I have no problem with that. But I still don't understand why I was flamed for making an honest attempt to improve the situation. Maybe not a good one, but certainly not one that should have, IMHO, provoked the kind of response I got. I understand Gail's anger. But why take it out on me. Or is this just a problem with a guy that hasn't been here forever commenting on something done by an old timer (meant respectfully)? I'm not allowed to comment on questions or the process until I've posted 10 myself?

I apologize for making this WAY off topic post to anyone reading.

Everyone knows I like to keep the QOTD discussions about the QOTD.

Anything that could go in a private message to the person you are talking to should.

Two things I would like to point out to you Thomas.

1. You described the process that Gail uses in your original post/sugesstion. The same one she has asked others to use for QOTD. Those of us that have been a member of this comunity long enough to remember the first time she used her current avatar could read your first post as Highly Sarcastic. It made me nervously chuckle for about .5 seconds. Yes you made the first post into the Sarcasm chasm. Apparently by mistake but still something very real to anyone that understood.

2. You were not flamed. I have been flamed here. Gail has been flamed here. Gail and I may have flamed each other here. That was a casual friendly response to a new person that is being given the benifit of the doubt. If you would like to see a real flame post, let me know, or keep reading.

• Learned something new.

Thanks Gail.

• Great question. Got compression confused with encryption, so I got it wrong.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply