Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) SQL Server 2008

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) SQL Server 2008

-Roy

• Thanks for the article Roy. It's concise, interesting, informative and well-written. 5 stars for you!

James Stover, McDBA

• Excellent article Roy. We are just now starting to look at the possibility of moving to SQL Server 2008. Turns out in the next tools release of PeopleSoft that SQL Server 2008 will be supported. I'm not sure about using TDE on our databases, but this does provide some vital info should we move that direction.

• Very Informative Article. And the most appreciating thing is that the writer have clearly mentioned the pros and cons of the subject with respect to the latest release of SQL Server 2008.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• Excellent Job, Roy! I looked back over this for some checking of the book I'm tech editing.

• Excellent article. Quick question, is TDE available in standard edition? or do we need to have the enterprise edition?

Thanks!

• Thank you all... It is nice to get feedbacks from all of you.. 🙂

JRamussen, If I am not mistaken, it is available only in the enterprise edition. I will look it up and let you know.

-Roy

• Great article Roy. Well written and informative.

I was kind of hoping you had a fix to the problem with removing TDE though. 😀

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hahahahaha.... I did some experiment and blew up my test DB... 😀

If you and Microsoft cant fix it, you really think I could do it?? :hehe:

-Roy

• You also performed a service linking to Connect. Hopefully this'll get some more votes.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Yes, I did.... I had trouble setting up the hyperlink for that and I have to Thank Steve for setting it up properly. And he did a great job editing. To be honest, I would never want to take his job of editing articles....heheheheh.

He is great at that. 🙂

-Roy

• Great article. Looks like for now, TDE is a one way process. Select wisely!

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.

• Good article. Nice and concise, with good points. BOL pointed this out in regards to the read-only file groups:

While TDE operations are not allowed if the database has any read-only filegroups, TDE can be used with read-only filegroups. To enable TDE on a database that has read-only filegroups, the filegroups must first be set to allow writes. After the encryption scan completes, the filegroup can be set back to read only. Key changes or decryption must be performed the same way.

So there is a work-around, but it had better be known before doing encryption. Thanks again for the information!

Cheers,

Brian

• Thanks for the Info Brian. That is something I missed.

Thanks to all who have commented and read.

-Roy

• Thanks for the great article. I didn't see anything about impact on performance. Encrypting the entire database at the I/O level surly has some impact. You tested this on a 12GB database. Any chance you were able to run some scripts and get a notion of how responsive your database was after this? Is there anywhere I could find some initial statistics on how this impacted performance?

Thanks!

Matt Penner

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply