Translate function for SQL Server

• Alan Burstein

SSC Guru

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Translate function for SQL Server

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• h.tobisch

SSCommitted

everything fine, but what's that checksum for ?

• ChrisM@Work

SSC Guru

h.tobisch (6/1/2016)

Currently the fastest known method for converting a bigint to an int.

[font="Arial"]“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw[/font]

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article[/url].
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]
    [url

• ChrisM@Work

SSC Guru

Nice job Alan.

A few years ago DC and I played with numerous variations of this method as a spinoff of the PatternSplit project. One of the most promising methods was a QU using an inline tally table, where the inline variable is the product, rather than values in the table. I remember it was very fast and made for nice slim maintainable code too.

[font="Arial"]“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw[/font]

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article[/url].
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]
    [url

• Alan Burstein

SSC Guru

ChrisM@Work (6/1/2016)

Nice job Alan.

A few years ago DC and I played with numerous variations of this method as a spinoff of the PatternSplit project. One of the most promising methods was a QU using an inline tally table, where the inline variable is the product, rather than values in the table. I remember it was very fast and made for nice slim maintainable code too.

Thanks Chris.

I tried a similar method with the QU and inline tally table which did not perform well, it did very badly actually. I'll send it to you, I'd be interested to see where I went wrong.

It's so cool that you guys played around with this, it's such a fun exercise and great way to sharpen your SQL skills.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan Burstein

SSC Guru

ChrisM@Work (6/1/2016)

h.tobisch (6/1/2016)

I learned this technique from Eirikur Eiriksson. One of those super slick T-SQL tricks that makes SQLServerCentral awesome.

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• ChrisM@Work

SSC Guru

Alan.B (6/1/2016)

ChrisM@Work (6/1/2016)

h.tobisch (6/1/2016)

I learned this technique from Eirikur Eiriksson. One of those super slick T-SQL tricks that makes SQLServerCentral awesome.

EE has super slick beer tricks too - watch out!

[url

• akljfhnlaflkj

SSC Guru

This looks pretty cool, thanks.

• Bill Talada

SSChampion

There is a fine line between "trick" and "hack".  This cool function is using lots of side effects which makes me wonder if it might become SQL Server version dependent at some point.

I didn't know substring('abc', 4, 1) would return empty string instead of an error.  Maybe I'm too much of an academic purist but all this cleverness makes me feel uneasy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply