Transferring Warehouse between Servers

• I know is must seem like a trivial question to some of you out there, but here goes anyway......

I have a small number of cubes within a single database on Analysis Services running on SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition.  What I would like to do is move these cubes and their associated database to another server which is running SQL 2000 Standard Edition.

How do I do it and what problems am I likely to encounter (if any)?

• A couple of ways to do it... 

If you can see (ie connect to) both servers from within your AS Manager, then you could just copy and paste (either the entire DB or the cubes one by one).

You can also archive (to file , extension .cab) and then restore to the other server (you should be archiving for backups purposes anyway yeah ).  TO do an archive/restore manually, right click on the catalog/DB in AS Manager and select Archive.

What to watch for?  If the environment you are developing in has a MSSQL repository but the target has MSAccess (default on install), then I don't think it will let you restore the archive (copy and past will prob work).  Upgrade your repository to MSSQL is the obvious solution there.

Check BOL for the differences between Editions of AS, there is a comparison page in there that shows what each edition supports.  make sure that you either a) haven't used an advanced feature, or b) remove the use of it if you have.

Steve.

• One serious limitation of Standard Server is that it does not support partitions.  If you are currently using multiple partitions in your cubes you will not be able to move that architecture to Standard.

Steve Hughes, Magenic Technologies

steve.hughes@magenic.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply