Transactional Vs. Merge

• Hi .... i Believe transactional replication also supports bi-directional data synchronisation, so does merge replication. I have a situation where adatabase schema has been scaled across two servers using a network load balancer. The need has arised for having the data redundant as well. My ta=ransactional volume is not too high, probably 5000-6000 data rows. The schema is not a relational schema. What do you think i shud use transactional or merge. Personally, i think i shud use merge as it is designed for two-way data sync. Also, transactional stops if a conflict occurs. would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks

• We use merge replication in a similar scenario, though we have many more transactions.  It doesn't scale well to our size, about 300 GB of data/indexes.  But for smaller situations it shouldn't be a problem.

Since you have data that's separated, i.e. on one server but not replicated to another server, you'll want to scynchronize the two servers somehow.  Look up sp_mergedummyupdate.  If that's not necessary, all the better.

Good luck!

Dylan Peters
    SQL Server DBA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply