Transactional replication breaks during WSFC failover to new primary

• Hi expert,

Is there a best way to  fix or be proactive during patching of primary node of WSFC? Whenever I failover to passive node (which will become new primary) the replication will break, since the replication has small database so I re configure again (with GUI/scriptout) what if there there is a big database and very big tables, what's the best approach to tackle this?

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• What HA technology are you using at the SQL level?

FCI or AOAG?

On an FCI the failover with replication should be seamless in a fashion, yes it will disconnect while failing over but should resume normally once failover is complete.

So I'm going to hazard a guess that you are using AOAG.  Replication on an AOAG requires additional configuration to make it work  automatically after a failover, this article describes how to configure replication on top of AOAGs.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/configure-replication-for-always-on-availability-groups-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver15

• FCI, 2 nodes, (current active node A) we failover and leave all services including mssqlserver on Node B. Transactional replication will break, we have to set it up using the script, or GUI. so far all DBs are small BUT my question, Is there a way to failover nodes without messing up replication. Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply