Transactional Log backup with frequency of 1 month

• HI ,

I am planning to take one full backup and Transactional Log backups for every month ..as i will be making the changes in database only once in a month .

and i am aware of that in case of disaster i need to restore database with all the Transactional Log backups . My Plan is to have Transactional log backups for 5 Years and after 5 years i would be taking a full backup .

So should i need to take any other precautions or concerns with this approach.?

Thanks in advance ...

• I would personally be very nervous about a strategy that includes only 1 full backup in a 5 year period - but that is likely because I work in an environment where things change far more frequently than once per month.

I would be more likely to use the Simple Recovery Model and do a full backup immediately after the changes are made each month. I would not like to find myself having to restore the original full backup and 4 years + worth of transactional backups to get back to last month's data.

• It also depends on where you're storing your backups.

If you backup to tape, you can run into issues with misplacing a tape from 5 years ago, or having a tape not work right after sitting idle for 5 years.

Even if you are storing things on disk, 5 years leaves you open to a lot of exposure. All it takes to ruin all 5 years worth of backups is one problem with your initial full backup. Without that initial full backup, everything else is useless. That's a single point of failure that I would not be comfortable with.

• One full backup every 5 years and one transaction log backup every month???

I do hope that client's data loss allowance in the case of a disaster is 'all of it'.

Maybe instead simple recovery and a full backup once a month?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RamSteve (1/6/2015)

HI ,

Yes, update your resume every 2 weeks!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (1/6/2015)

RamSteve (1/6/2015)

HI ,

Hahahahahaha :hehe: 😀

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/6/2015)

Alvin Ramard (1/6/2015)

RamSteve (1/6/2015)

HI ,

Hahahahahaha :hehe: 😀

Differential update should be sufficient. 😀

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• What's the concern with taking more frequent full backups? Or maybe differentials?

The thing is, it's not just a question of backing up, it's also a question of restoring. When you go to restore, the transaction logs are essentially replayed. Depending on the size of those logs from your monthly load, that could make for a very long recovery if, let's assume the worst, you had to restore eleven logs (again, depends on the volume).

I really do think a safer bet would be monthly full backups or maybe an annual full and then monthly differentials (although that still gives me the heebie-jeebies).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Still all of those scenarios make me nervous. What happens when you go to restore and this month's file is corrupt? Nope, I don't like it one bit. At a very minimum I would want to see 2 fulls a month just in case one of them failed.

You need to have more on your side than a single file that could have so many things happen to it.

Watch my free SQL Server Tutorials at:
    http://MidnightDBA.com
    Blog Author of:
    DBA Rant – http://www.MidnightDBA.com/DBARant

Minion Maintenance is FREE:

• Yeah, Sean makes an excellent point.

Remember, you're not building a backup plan. You're building a recovery plan.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply