Transaction log/Full backup and Recovery

• I have 2 TB database and I am doing a full backup daily. For now i have transactional log backup also running for every 30 mins for the whole day and along with full backup.

For a point in time restore how should i schedule ?

how will the LSN be incase of having running both backups at the same time ?

• For a point in time restore, it doesn't matter how to schedule things. The log backups contain all the necessary data. The full has some log information, but if you restore the full, it's to the point in time of the end of the full backup.

If you restore the logs, they will automatically sequence with the full backup if you need to do a restore. If you have an LSN that's too early, or already covered in the full, you'll get an error, but it won't affect your restore ability.

• AK1516 (5/14/2012)

I have 2 TB database and I am doing a full backup daily. For now i have transactional log backup also running for every 30 mins for the whole day and along with full backup.

For a point in time restore how should i schedule ?

how will the LSN be incase of having running both backups at the same time ?

to add to Steves comment, have you considered differential backups too, they may ease your backup operations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I have no differential backups running.

• You might want to look at differentials, which could potentially help with recovery time if you end up with many log backups to restore.

• AK1516 (5/14/2012)

I have no differential backups running.

You may not be able to run differentials all week, but you may get away with running 2 full backups per week and differentials on the in between days. Full backups every day may be wasting resources, it would make sense to run with diffs for a week or two and see how you get on. You can always revert back if you need to, either way i would definitely look at employing differentials

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply