Transaction Log Size

• Hi to all,

Basically I am Oracle DBA and new to SQL Server.

The database(SQL Server 2005) which i handle has a very huge transaction log in size. Is there any option to reduce the size of transaction log. Currently its size is about 1GB and unable to open it.

• What recovery model and how often are you doing transaction log backups?

What do you mean by "unable to open it"?

Take a read through this - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/64582/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • What is the frequency with which u're taking transaction log backup vis-a-vis transaction volume?

try reducing the frequency of tran log backups. this will flush out inactive transaction more frequently from the log file.

Pradeep Singh

• Hi,

You need to check your database recovery mode in Properties window. It should be Full Recovery for best result.

You also need to check the frequescy of database Full Backup and transaction log backup schedule.

Once you have the database full backup done, you may shrink the Log file.

Don't try to open the Transaction Log file. It may get corrupt and chances of recovery will fail.

• ps (12/22/2008)

try reducing the frequency of tran log backups. this will flush out inactive transaction more frequently from the log file.

Other way around. Reducing the frequency of the log backups (ie running them less often) will flush inactive transactions less often. Increasing the frequency of the log backups will flush inactive transactions more frequently.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for correcting Gail :). Actually i meant what you've written. was a slip off :w00t:

Pradeep Singh

• msalmaan (12/22/2008)

very huge transaction log in size.

msalmaan (12/22/2008)

size is about 1GB

wow, as big as that 😀

msalmaan (12/22/2008)

and unable to open it.

not advisable

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thank You to all.

I got an overview on how to manage the transaction log

• Thank You to all.

• Thank You to all.

• Hi,

Better you should use DBCC SHRINKDB(file_name, target size) or DBCC SHRINKFILE(file_name.log,t size )...

• srikanth.katta (12/23/2008)

Hi,

Better you should use DBCC SHRINKDB(file_name, target size) or DBCC SHRINKFILE(file_name.log,t size )...

Don't do this,

Shrinking the transaction log is not a good idea especially on a production system. you should give the t-log enough room to grow, and back it up regularly.

• why not use shrink (shrink file rather than shrink db) to shrink the log files? what are the downsides?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have started to use shrink as some of my log file (ldf) are now getting very big.

Is there an article somewhere on how to control these properly as the ones I am working with are running riot.

Thanks.

Ells

• Backup log file with truncate_only option and shrink database log file.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Paresh Prajapati
    ➡ +919924626601
    http://paresh-sqldba.blogspot.com/[/url]
    LinkedIn | Tweet Me | FaceBook | Brijj

• Many thanks Paresh,

that is exactly what I have been doing, however I was very concerned that ther may be an issue with doing this. Just wondered if there was a problem with this strategy.

Thanks.

Ells

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply