transaction log shrinkage

• Can anyone help me out regarding the log truncation for the following scenarios :

scenario 1:

a.Database Autoshrink option is on.

b.Log file Autogrowth option is on.

c.Recovery model Full.

d.No log backup is happening.

Will the log file shrink(means the inactive log entries) after checkpoint occurs?

scenario 2:

a.Database Autoshrink option is off.

b.Log file Autogrowth option is on.

c.Recovery model Full.

d.No log backup is happening.

Willthe log file shrink(means the inactive log entries) after checkpoint occurs?

• Homework? Exam? Interview?

If the recovery model is full, checkpoint is insufficient to mark log space as reusable. A log backup is required. A checkpoint only marks log space as reusable in simple recovery.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • May be the way I framed it, looks like as you said(homework ?/ Exam ? / Interview ?). But truly I want to know it............... and i think that is the most important thing.

• Thanks a lot.

• sam_mastermind (7/12/2010)

But truly I want to know it............... and i think that is the most important thing.

If this is the case then 🙂

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179478.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190440.aspx

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• sam_mastermind (7/12/2010)

May be the way I framed it, looks like as you said(homework ?/ Exam ? / Interview ?). But truly I want to know it............... and i think that is the most important thing.

I disagree with your statement. Forums are properly used to help people with real world work-related problems and are "staffed" by people who are donating their personal time to help out with business solutions. I think it is inconsiderate to ask someone to help with homework, etc when they are volunteering their time in this manner. At a minimum a poster should explicitly state that they are looking for help on a homework, interview, etc question so that answerers can decide if they wish to help. Just my $0.02 here.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Checkpoint in FULL Recovery Modle will not make log available for reuse or shrink it.

• In both cases, truncation of log will not occur. As said by Gila, a log backup is required to remove the inactive portion of the transaction log.

If you want to reduce the size of the transaction log, I suggested that you use Simple recovery model for the database.

Also, autoshrink option should not be enabled as it consumes a lot of valuable server resources.

Hope, this may help.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sudeepta.
    http://twitter.com/skganguly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply