Transaction log grows fast

• iqtedar (1/4/2009)

ok ..i will ask him to do...so then what would be the default size of the log file...thanks..

It depend on the recovery mode, in simple recovery size is less then Full recobery. and also depend on the transactions done in database.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Paresh Prajapati
    ➡ +919924626601
    http://paresh-sqldba.blogspot.com/[/url]
    LinkedIn | Tweet Me | FaceBook | Brijj

• Hey Paul..i appreciate your suggestion...i do not have access to those servers and that server is not part of our group...the dev was just asking my suggestion..i found that he eventually got it done from one of my team leads...and yes i always try to give min permissions to dev and testers..thanks..

• Regarding issue:

Two databases with similar log problem, same output: Just tr log backup did not help. After couple log backups, than dbcc shrink command, log file(s) went to just 10-15 MBs. After that command, it has been couple days already, they are not growing any more. So, tr log backup is helping in this case - when the log is small. It looks that size does matter :).

I will repeat one more time: stop backup log, to see behavior on one of these two databases.

Gail, for me time is not crucial, most important is valid restoration to the point of time. So, I think to go with full + (often) diff backup.

Regards all,

Brano

• branovuk (1/6/2009)

Gail, for me time is not crucial, most important is valid restoration to the point of time. So, I think to go with full + (often) diff backup.

In that case, you should be going with full and log backups, not diffs. Diffs are most often indicated when there's little time to do the backups and only a small downtime window allowed if a restore is needed.

If you have no limits on how long the backups take, but you need point-in-time restores, then do full backups (maybe daily) and frequent log backups.

Diff backups do not give you point-in-time restores. Logs can.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Diff backups do not give you point-in-time restores, they giving just to the time of backup. I have to learn that part, point-in-time tips and tricks, my next lesson :). Thank you very much Gail for all your replies, I learnt a lot. Regards, Brano

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply