Transaction Log Daily Failure

• My transaction log backs up every 15 minutes.  It fails every so often, but at least once a day.  When I look in the log files, I see a timeout error:

Microsoft (R) SQLMaint Utility (Unicode), Version [Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: HYT00)] Error 0: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

Is there anything that I can do?

Thanks!

• When one fails, how did the one previous to it do?  Did it run longer than 15 minutes? What else is going on when one times out?

• The transaction log prior to the one that fails is always successful.  I don't see a real pattern to when the backup fails.  It happens at all times during the day, but at least once a day.

Thanks for your time.

• does your SQL server has its SP3a ?

also install Mdac 2.7 SP1 on it

I hope this solve the problem

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

• Can I resurect this question?

I've started having this same issue - tape backups are running at the time I get the error.  But they have been running for some time at this time and the error just started.  Tape backups have excluded the data directories for SQL.  I questioned the business of the server - but the job logs in or else I wouldn't be getting a job log.  So what is the connection timeout to?  If the job can log in and then the first thing it logs is an ODBC timeout?  MSDB and Master would be the first DBs it would connect to get the backup polan information and the list of databases? 

Did you ever resolve?  I'm running SQL200 SP3 MDAC 2.71 sp1 refresh

• I've seen similar issues with some of out servers, particularly with NT4/SQL7 but once in a while with SQL 2000.  We use Legato's Networker and SQL Business Suite for our tape backups.  If something happens with the backup server or the scalar while it's reading a SQL file, it can stall the SQL Server jobs causing the native disk backups to fail as well.  What we've done is either have a network admin kill the tape jobs (preferred method) or bounce the server at which point the disk backups complete normally.

We used to see this more often and I think Legato released a patch for the issue last year that seemed to nearly eliminate it.  Hope this helps. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Unfortunately, I haven't solved the problem.  A month after my original post, I left the job and am now not a database administrator (I moved over to development).  Good luck!

• We got the same problem here with the db and trans log backup jobs fail intermitten with this error:

Microsoft (R) SQLMaint Utility (Unicode), Version [Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: HYT00)] Error 0: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

It took some investigation but once we unchecked the 'Perform these test before backup up the database or transaction log' from the Integrity Tab in the Maintenace Plan the problems went away. 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply