transaction delay when replica unavailable - what effect?

• I'm using AlwaysOn synchronous replica.  User issues an update on primary via SSMS.  In order for the transaction to be committed on primary, the tran needs to get to the secondary, be hardened to the secondary log & an ack sent & received back.  Let's say this takes 50 ms.  Does this mean the user sits and waits for 50 ms for a response back to his SSMS window?

What happens when the secondary is unavailable for an hour?  Does he now sit and wait for the hour?

I'm clearly not getting what effect the actual tran delay is having to the user.  I'd be super grateful for clarification.

Thanks.

• back in the day of mirroring, if a transaction couldn't be committed to the standby then it would lock the primary (unless you had enterprise edition and hi performance mode)

this is a complete guess (and i'd love someone to tell me too) ssms will most likely lock up until you kill the spid

you could easily replicate the issue by putting an open transaction on the secondary, see if ssms still works against that table. then roll back the transaction - I usually do

begin tran

update table set email=email

waitfor delay '00:01:00'

rollback tran

MVDBA

• snomadj wrote:

I'm using AlwaysOn synchronous replica.  User issues an update on primary via SSMS.  In order for the transaction to be committed on primary, the tran needs to get to the secondary, be hardened to the secondary log & an ack sent & received back.  Let's say this takes 50 ms.  Does this mean the user sits and waits for 50 ms for a response back to his SSMS window?

What happens when the secondary is unavailable for an hour?  Does he now sit and wait for the hour?

I'm clearly not getting what effect the actual tran delay is having to the user.  I'd be super grateful for clarification.

Thanks.

Unless there was some sort of maintenance occurring, why would the secondary be offline for an hour?  Or was this just a scenario you were using as an example?

The answer is no, the user will not be sitting there waiting for an hour.  If the secondary is unavailable, such as it being shut down, the transactions that need to be committed on the secondary will simply wait until it is available.  Your transaction logs will probably start growing.

If in fact this is simply a matter of latency between the primary and secondary, you will definitely wait until the transaction is committed on the secondary.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• If the secondary is unavailable for an hour, the primary would switch to asynchronous commit. There is a session timeout period that defaults to 10 seconds. If that is exceeded, that's when the primary quietly switches to asynchronous. Those seem a bit buried in the documentation. The switch to asynchronous - see the first Note section in this documentation:

Availability Modes (Always On Availability Groups)

Session Timeout period is discussed in this documentation:

Overview of AlwaysOn Availability Groups (SQL Server)

Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply