Tracking DDL Events using event notifications - free tool

• I'm sure many of you have implemented your own solutions for tracking DDL events using DDL Triggers or event notifications. I've decided to share my solution with the community, the TSQL DDL Code History Tool. CTP1 is now available to download.

http://www.wisesoft.co.uk/software/tsql_ddl_code_history_tool/default.aspx

The tool is basically an auditing solution for DDL events and it can be used to answer important questions like who changed what and when. I also find it useful for comparing individual stored procedures between databases or stored procedures with different names in the same or different database.

I first started tracking DDL events a few years ago, after discovering DDL Triggers in SQL 2005. Initially I was logging to a table in the same database and querying the table manually as and when required. As much as I like writing TSQL, sometimes it makes sense to have a UI. This has evolved into the TSQL DDL Code History Tool which now tracks DDL Events using event notifications, storing a history of DDL Events in a separate database.

I hope you find the tool useful. Let me know if you find any bugs or have any suggestions on how to improve the tool.

Many Thanks,

David Wiseman

www.wisesoft.co.uk[/url]

DBA Dash - Free, open source monitoring for SQL Server

• PS

If you have an existing system you are using to track DDL events, it should be easy to import the history into this tool providing you have the original XML that was generated by the trigger/event notification. Something like this will do:

INSERT INTO [zzCodeHistory].[zzCodeHistory].[EventData]

([EventDataXML])

SELECT MyEventDataXML

FROM MyTableUsedToTrackDDLEvents

Change the highlighted text as appropriate. A trigger exists on the EventData table that will take care of the rest for you.

DBA Dash - Free, open source monitoring for SQL Server

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply