Trace flag 1448

• we are trying to isolate replication from mirroring as we had issue where mirroring was suspended and it impacted the replication latency due to log queue, we are implementing trace flag 1448 to achieve that ,but wanted to check if there is any caveats who already using this , we are using sql 2008 sp1 enterprise.

• I would be interested to know how you got on with this.

Did you "have" to restart the SQL Server Service or did your enable the trace flag globally using T-SQL?

• we dropped the idea for important piece , in case you need to failover to mirror during any outage and if this trace flag is enabled then your replication got out of sync and you need to rebuild it again so if that is not the issue then i found no issue in my test environment and worked fine.

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

My requirement is not for DR so the lag in synchronization that could result between the Mirror and Subscriber's is not an issue for me.

Did you "need" to re-start SQL Server in order to enable the trace flag? This is what the documentation states but trace flags can be enabled globally without the need for a service restart, for example Deadlock Trace Flags etc.

I wonder if a restart is required because certain agents need to be restarted in order to pickup the functionality change, like various Mirroring agents and the Log Reader Agent for Replication. I'm just guessing here though......

• Question about this flag, it says its available as a hotfix for Sql Server 2005 SP2, but if I have SP3, shouldn't this fix be included? I've applied the trace flag to my test box (2005 SP3) and it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Btw, I guess you could try to apply the trace with DBCC and see if it works... If it doesn't then you'll just have to wait for maintenance.

Paul

• How did you apply the trace flag?

The documentation instructs that the SQL Server Service must be restarted. Did you complete this step?

• Thanks for the quick reply. I should have included that in my post. We entered the -T1448 in the startup parameters and restarted the box. Actually I didn't do it, but one of the most experienced DBAs on my team did. I'm betting a paycheck that he did, but I'll verify.

So, does that mean you agree that if I have SP3 I should have all hotfixes for SP2? Or are their cases where hotfixes are NOT incorporated into future SPs?

• Apparently so but that is the very same question that I am currently trying to find out in a parallel thread on the Microsoft Forums.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldatabaseengine/thread/e4c83a65-094e-43f8-b3ea-fef02a7db888

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply