Trace File

• If we start the serverside trace how to stop that.

I open the profiler through GUI and script out the definition and run from ssms but forgot to mention the stop time. It gave me trace ID

I want to stop after 2 hr. How can I do it now? It is running.

• You can define a specific end time when you start the trace. But it's also possible to stop the trace through code (using sp_trace_setstatus).

When the trace is running, there are several usefull commands, see code below:

-- get information about the current trace(s)

SELECT

[traceid]

,[property]

,[tpdesc] =

case

when [property] = 1 and [value] = 1 then N' produces a rowset.'

when [property] = 1 and [value] = 2 then N' creates a new file when max file size is reached.'

when [property] = 1 and [value] = 3 then N' create a new file when max file size is reached and produce a rowset.'

when [property] = 1 and [value] = 4 then N' shuts down the trace on an error.'

when [property] = 1 and [value] = 5 then N' produces a rowset and shutdown on error.'

when [property] = 1 and [value] = 6 then N' creates a new file when max file size is reached and shuts down on an error.'

when [property] = 1 and [value] = 7 then N' creates a new file when max file size is reached, produces a rowset and shuts down on an error.'

when [property] = 1 and [value] = 8 then N' is a Blackbox trace.'

when [property] = 2 then N' results are in file ' + cast([value] as nvarchar(245)) + N'.trc.'

when [property] = 3 then N' max file size is ' + cast([value] as nvarchar(5)) + N' megabytes.'

when [property] = 4 and [value] is not null then N' automatically stops on ' + cast([value] as nvarchar(25)) + '.'

when [property] = 4 and [value] is null then N' does not automatically stop on any date and time.'

when [property] = 5 and [value] = 0 then N' is stopped.'

when [property] = 5 and [value] = 1 then N' is running.'

end

FROM fn_trace_getinfo(0)

ORDER BY [traceid],[property] DESC

/*** ATTENTION: use the correct TRACE_ID!! ***/

-- pauze trace

EXEC sp_trace_setstatus 2, 0-- sp_trace_setstatus [ @traceid = ] trace_id , [ @status = ] status

-- stop trace and remove definition

EXEC sp_trace_setstatus 2, 2-- sp_trace_setstatus [ @traceid = ] trace_id , [ @status = ] status

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • Thank you

In my running trace I can see

exec sp_trace_setstatus @TraceID,1.

In final it showed me TraceID=3

So if I run

EXEC sp_trace_setstatus 3, 2

It will stop the trace

• ramana3327 (10/15/2014)

Thank you

In my running trace I can see

exec sp_trace_setstatus @TraceID,1.

In final it showed me TraceID=3

So if I run

EXEC sp_trace_setstatus 3, 2

It will stop the trace

If your trace is running using ID 3 (check with "fn_trace_getinfo(0)") then yes, the command you state will stop that trace.

• Thank you.

Before you script the trace definition, we have to run the profiler. So there we are giving one filename. When I use the same trace file name, it wasn't allow me to use the same file name. So, I gave different file name.

• Hi,

I want to stop the running trace.

I run the command

exec sp_trace_setstatus 2,2 (My trace id=2)

Then I am getting the msg that, the active trace must be stopped before modification.

How to stop that trace?

• First pauze the trace, then stop it. Stopping it will also remove the trace definition.

-- pauze trace

EXEC sp_trace_setstatus 2, 0-- sp_trace_setstatus [ @traceid = ] trace_id , [ @status = ] status

-- stop trace and remove definition

EXEC sp_trace_setstatus 2, 2-- sp_trace_setstatus [ @traceid = ] trace_id , [ @status = ] status

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply