Tougher Privacy Laws

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:27 AM

I agree that more people in jail doesn't help. However, executives ought to be accountable. Personally, a little incarceration might be good, perhaps a week in county jail, but more I'd like to invalidate compensation contracts, especially bonuses and termination parachutes, and cause some terminations. That might actually put pressure on businesspeople.

I think you are right on here about the invalidation of termination parachutes and bonus compensation after a failure of responsibilities.  And that goes for much more than simply security issues.  CEO's that last a year of complete failure and leave with millions is a rape of the shareholders (owners) and the customers who actually wind up paying for it.

• Eric M Russell - Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:29 AM

I believe that both the means and motive are there. 

"Cambridge Analytica executives bragged about prostitution stings, swaying elections with misinformation"
    https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/cambridge-analytica-execs-bragged-prostitution-stings-article-1.3884242

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/us/politics/cia-officer-house-election-super-pac.html

so I read the nydailynews article. Frankly I think if a private company sends "really beautiful" eastern European women to a Congress persons house and the company is doing us a service.  (well except frankly I don't really care what a politician does sexually as long as it's not physically violent, anything else is up to them and their family to work out).  But even more sending a shill to offer the person bribes?  That's awesome and if the politician takes it and the company publicizes it that is a HUGE service to a corrupt system.  As far as anything regarding Kenyan or other foreign elections and politics I suggest a book.  "The Dictators Handbook, Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics".  The author is a student of leaders and an extremely good one.  The leaders number one job is to stay in power.  Without that the leader has nothing.  This book is a study of how they stay in power given different political circumstances.  It will change your view of current events I guarantee it.  PS: it even has relevance to so called Democratic societies.

• billp 37934 - Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:09 PM

Eric M Russell - Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:29 AM

I believe that both the means and motive are there. 
    "Cambridge Analytica executives bragged about prostitution stings, swaying elections with misinformation"
    https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/cambridge-analytica-execs-bragged-prostitution-stings-article-1.3884242
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/us/politics/cia-officer-house-election-super-pac.html

so I read the nydailynews article. Frankly I think if a private company sends "really beautiful" eastern European women to a Congress persons house and the company is doing us a service.  (well except frankly I don't really care what a politician does sexually as long as it's not physically violent, anything else is up to them and their family to work out).  But even more sending a shill to offer the person bribes?  That's awesome and if the politician takes it and the company publicizes it that is a HUGE service to a corrupt system.  As far as anything regarding Kenyan or other foreign elections and politics I suggest a book.  "The Dictators Handbook, Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics".  The author is a student of leaders and an extremely good one.  The leaders number one job is to stay in power.  Without that the leader has nothing.  This book is a study of how they stay in power given different political circumstances.  It will change your view of current events I guarantee it.  PS: it even has relevance to so called Democratic societies.

My point with referencing the two articles is that there are individuals and organization out there who are exploiting privileged or stolen data as a tool for manipulation. The specific context doesn't matter, sometimes it's attempts to manipulate elections and sometimes it's just marketing prescription drugs your don't need. Data is power, and the public doesn't understand that by relinquishing personal data you give someone else power. Historically, most people were reluctant to share information with outsiders; like when governments first started going door to door conducting census in the early 1900s. During the Informage Age, the public learned how to trust more and open up, but now the pendulum is swinging in the opposite direction, and that's a good thing. It's sort of like how manufacturers and consumers went hog wild with food additives and junk food marketing back in the 1950's, but then over time society got wiser about health and the industry was scaled back.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply