TOP operator in UPDATE execution plan

• I'm looking into a deadlock issue with two UPDATE statements hitting a heap and whilst looking at the execution plans I've noticed that there's a TOP operator present. The UPDATE statement is fairly simple: -

DECLARE Variable1 datetime,Variable2 varchar(9),Variable3 uniqueidentifier

UPDATE Object1 SET Column1 = Variable1, Column2 = Variable2 WHERE Column3 = Variable3

Column3 is the nonclustered PK on the table (it's a GUID) and there's a covering index present which the query seeks against.

Here's the plan (using Brent Ozar's handy new tool): - https://www.brentozar.com/pastetheplan/?id=HyWKprB3

Does anyone know why the TOP operator would be there?

Thanks

• Can you not just attach the .sqlplan file?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes, no problem. sqlplan file attached.

Thank you.

• Do you have an Actual plan please?

I suspect that the top's not removing any rows, that it's something put into update plans for cases where it's a joined update and there are more than one row coming from the FROM portion for each row to be updated.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I've only got an estimate plan at the moment as I'm pulling the statements out of the deadlock xml.

I'll see if I can grab an actual now.

• Actual plan attached.

Looking at the details for the TOP and SEEK operators, only one row is found so you're right that the TOP isn't removing any rows but I can't see any information that would shed light on why the operator is there.

• My guess would be that at least one of the indexes being affected by the UPDATE is defined as UNIQUE.

I seem to recall that TOP operators show up in plans when a UNIQUE index is being maintained.

I'll run some tests to confirm in a bit.

Cheers!

• Hi Jacob,

Yep, I think you're right. The table's a heap and has a unique nonclustered PK which is being referenced in the WHERE clause of the UPDATE statement.

I disabled the unique index and the TOP operator is no longer in the plan (on a test system of course :-)).

Thanks!

• Glad to help!

Yeah, ran a few quick tests, and it seems that pattern happens when two conditions are met: you reference a unique index in the WHERE clause and it's being affected by the update.

If only one of the conditions is met I didn't see the same pattern.

Cheers!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply