Tool to catalog the scripts.

• Hello!

I have many procedures and functions in the database that I would like to find easily through any external tool or any utility.

I've been using Evernote... but I would like to know if there are other ones specific .

Thank you

• There area  lot that can do it I'm sure.  The first few that come to mind are SSMS and Visual Studio though.  Both of these can see all of the procedures and functions that exist in a database and present you with both the name and, with a few clicks, the raw TSQL.

But you could do it in Excel if you wanted to (and had proper permissions) without too much trouble or SSRS or PowerBI; that is assuming you only want the NAMES and not the full TSQL.   You COULD have it show the full TSQL, but I don't think that Excel, SSRS or Power BI are the right tools to show this, especailly if you have some giant stored procedures (6000+ lines long for example).

Pretty much any tool that can send a TSQL command off to the SQL engine should be able to handle this.  It depends on exactly what you are looking for.  Names only?  Names and query text?  Names, query text, permissions? etc.  My opinion though - SSMS or Visual Studio will be your best bets.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• What about using a GIT repository?  You get the advantage of being able to search the code as well as versioning, branching, etc...

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• It's a very good idea to put all your stored procedures and other database code in source control. One file for each SP.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply