tool for managing stored procedures

• Is there a tool out there to manage stored procedures, functions, etc, in the manner of update field names, datatypes, etc?

I'm a jr dev, so I have never heard of one (excuse any ignorance). We are going to be redoing some DBs, and there are a ton of renaming, datatype changes, etc. and such a tool would be awesome.

Stephen

• Take a look at RedGate's SQL Dependency Tracker (link at top right corner of this site). See if that will do what you need.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Looks like it might be. I watched the intro video and read the description, and they say it shows all objects. Does this include stored procedures and functions?

Also, I saw they have a free product called SQL Search... which seems hella nice.

Stephen

• Yes, it covers all objects. Same with SQL Search.

I work for Red Gate.

If you're entering into a major redesign of the database where you're going to be making lots of changes, I'd strongly suggest you get the database into source control and treat it just like your other code. And yeah, Red Gate sells a tool for that, SQL Source Control, but I'm making that suggestion without regard to whether you use our tool or not. The important thing is that you need to manage your code so that you can be sure you know what changed, when. If you break something it'll make it much easier to recover.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Check this article on source control.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Development/2743/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply