too many Extents?

• this morning some of my users where commenting about how they keep getting disconnected.

I checked the server, there was nothing odd, about 80 connections... but when I did a DBCC CHECKALLOC I found some extents to be as large as 700+ Currently some of these tables are not accessible for some reason, the server just seems to time-out... why would this be?

Thanks for your help.

-- Francisco

• Sounds like your database is somewhat fragmented, and perhaps Yukon is not tuned well enough to handle that (yet).

You are not using Yukon (a beta product) for 80 users in production, are you?

Mark

• oh.. man I'm so sorry, I posted to the Yukon group This msg is supposed to be in the sql server 2000 group sorry for the mis-post

-- Francisco

• No problem. I just assummed it was Yukon because of the category the post was in.

700 extents is not ideal, but it is not too many.  I've seen dbs where it has been like 30,000 extents without too much problem.  But perhaps with your server, and the nature of the fragmentation, it is a problem.  It may be causing a timeout, so it is certainly some thing to look at and correct.

Mark

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply