hive

Registry

Registrar

Registrant

Curiae Regis

• Home-working :crying:

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• eccentricDBA (12/27/2013)

Curiae Regis

Areopagus Basiléou

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (12/29/2013)

eccentricDBA (12/27/2013)

Curiae Regis

Areopagus Basiléou

Not for the first, and certainly not for the last time on this site, I'm going to have to show my ignorance. Even the almighty font of knowledge that is Google can't shed a great deal of light on that :ermm: I've got as far as I think it's a palace on hill that may, or may not, be a court of appeal. Is Basileou a form of basileia or basileos\us?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (12/30/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (12/29/2013)

Curiae Regis

Areopagus Basiléou

Not for the first, and certainly not for the last time on this site, I'm going to have to show my ignorance. Even the almighty font of knowledge that is Google can't shed a great deal of light on that :ermm: I've got as far as I think it's a palace on hill that may, or may not, be a court of appeal. Is Basileou a form of basileia or basileos\us?

Well, Basiléou is a direct translation of Regis, it's the genitive singular case of Basileos, it means "of a King" (or "of the King" in some contexts).

I was a bit surprised to see Curiae Regis turning up in response to Registrant, since Curiae means something like "meeting place of the senate" and Regis means "of a/the King", so the phrase must mean someting like "King's senate house". My Roman history is a bit weak, but I don't think Rome has a senate when it had a king, so "King's Senate House" would be a bad translation - probably "King's Council Chamber" is no better, but might be about right - anyway, I couldn't see the connection with "Registrant". Of course it may be modern legal Latin, not ancient Latin, and mean something completely unrelated to the classical meaning of Curiae, but if so I don't know what that is, although "court" seems possible. But I remember something about early Greeks having a place (Areopagus or Areopagos) at which people gathered together to provide advice to the King. Not the King of Greece, of course, as there was no such person, but the King of some tiny part of Greece. Perhaps the King of Athens, maybe of somewhere else, maybe of nowhere in particular - I can't remember whether Areopagos was one particular place or the term for any place used for that sort of important meeting. Anyway, Areopagus Basiléou might be a reasonable translation of Curiae Regis into another classical language and it would avoid the built-in anachronism which I think the Latin version has. But my ancient Greek history is as bad as my Roman history, and my classical Greek language skills don't exist, so I could be completely wrong.

Tom

• tire

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/1/2014)

tire

tired

• L' Eomot Inversé (12/31/2013)

BWFC (12/30/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (12/29/2013)

Curiae Regis

Areopagus Basiléou

Well, Basiléou is a direct translation of Regis, it's the genitive singular case of Basileos, it means "of a King" (or "of the King" in some contexts).

I was a bit surprised to see Curiae Regis turning up in response to Registrant, since Curiae means something like "meeting place of the senate" and Regis means "of a/the King", so the phrase must mean someting like "King's senate house". My Roman history is a bit weak, but I don't think Rome has a senate when it had a king, so "King's Senate House" would be a bad translation - probably "King's Council Chamber" is no better, but might be about right - anyway, I couldn't see the connection with "Registrant". Of course it may be modern legal Latin, not ancient Latin, and mean something completely unrelated to the classical meaning of Curiae, but if so I don't know what that is, although "court" seems possible. But I remember something about early Greeks having a place (Areopagus or Areopagos) at which people gathered together to provide advice to the King. Not the King of Greece, of course, as there was no such person, but the King of some tiny part of Greece. Perhaps the King of Athens, maybe of somewhere else, maybe of nowhere in particular - I can't remember whether Areopagos was one particular place or the term for any place used for that sort of important meeting. Anyway, Areopagus Basiléou might be a reasonable translation of Curiae Regis into another classical language and it would avoid the built-in anachronism which I think the Latin version has. But my ancient Greek history is as bad as my Roman history, and my classical Greek language skills don't exist, so I could be completely wrong.

Thanks Tom, you never know what you're going to learn around these parts. According to Wikipedia :unsure: the Areopagus was near the Acropolis so the King of Athens makes sense. I think I've found yet another area in which I need to brush up my knowledge!

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Ed Wagner (1/2/2014)

Revenant (1/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (1/1/2014)

tire

tired

Sleep

Needed

• BWFC (1/2/2014)

Ed Wagner (1/2/2014)

Revenant (1/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (1/1/2014)

tire

tired

Sleep

Needed

Coffee

• whereisSQL? (1/2/2014)

BWFC (1/2/2014)

Ed Wagner (1/2/2014)

Revenant (1/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (1/1/2014)

tire

tired

Sleep

Needed

Coffee

Second (Cup already)

• crookj (1/2/2014)

whereisSQL? (1/2/2014)

BWFC (1/2/2014)

Ed Wagner (1/2/2014)

Revenant (1/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (1/1/2014)

tire

tired

Sleep

Needed

Coffee

Second (Cup already)

Espresso 😀

• Ed Wagner (1/2/2014)

crookj (1/2/2014)

whereisSQL? (1/2/2014)

BWFC (1/2/2014)

Ed Wagner (1/2/2014)

Revenant (1/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (1/1/2014)

tire

tired

Sleep

Needed

Coffee

Second (Cup already)

Espresso 😀

Pressure

• BWFC (1/3/2014)

Ed Wagner (1/2/2014)

crookj (1/2/2014)

whereisSQL? (1/2/2014)

BWFC (1/2/2014)

Ed Wagner (1/2/2014)

Revenant (1/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (1/1/2014)

tire

tired

Sleep

Needed

Coffee

Second (Cup already)

Espresso 😀

Pressure

Force

Viewing 15 posts - 8,731 through 8,745 (of 21,190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply