Ray K (4/19/2011)

WOTD: meh

WOTD - apathy

Joe

incomplet

abbrev.

Abbreviations come in 3 basic flavors (with some subsets):

1. Shortened form i.e. co. for company

2. Initialism, first letters of each word not generally pronounceable as a word, i.e., NRA for National Rifle Association

3. Acronym, beginning letter or letters create a new "word" , i.e. SQL if pronounced as "sequel" even if incorrect 🙂

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• Peter Trast (4/19/2011)

3. Acronym, beginning letter or letters create a new "word" , i.e. SQL if pronounced as "sequel" even if incorrect 🙂

WOTD: heresy!

"if incorrect" indeed! @=)

(running away to hide now @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• mispelled

mispeled

misspelled

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (4/20/2011)

mispelled

mispeled

misspelled

Is that what the witch did after enjoying a little too much Vodka? 😉

Joe

• Peter Trast (4/19/2011)

Ray K (4/19/2011)

Peter Trast (4/19/2011)

crookj (4/19/2011)

Ray K (4/19/2011)

WOTD: meh

WOTD - apathy

Joe

incomplet

abbrev.

Abbreviations come in 3 basic flavors (with some subsets):

1. Shortened form i.e. co. for company

2. Initialism, first letters of each word not generally pronounceable as a word, i.e., NRA for National Rifle Association

Did you ever wonder why the word abbreviation is so long?

• Abacus

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Great word.

True story:

In a pre-SQL-geek incarnation I managed Food and retail sales at Anchorage International Airport. I had an employee(cashier) who was a 60+ yr old Korean woman. At the end of her shift she would come to the office to tally her receipts for the day. After completing the process she would reach into her purse, pull out an abacus, recalculate with it to verfiy that the computer was correct.

• Terry Low-350996 (4/20/2011)

True story:

In a pre-SQL-geek incarnation I managed Food and retail sales at Anchorage International Airport. I had an employee(cashier) who was a 60+ yr old Korean woman. At the end of her shift she would come to the office to tally her receipts for the day. After completing the process she would reach into her purse, pull out an abacus, recalculate with it to verfiy that the computer was correct.

Did she ever find discrepencies?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/20/2011)

Terry Low-350996 (4/20/2011)

True story:

If she did find any I'd be inclined to believe the abacus, not the computer - software is notoriously buggy 😉 .

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (4/20/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (4/20/2011)

True story:

If she did find any I'd be inclined to believe the abacus, not the computer - software is notoriously buggy 😉 .

Those rounding errors will catch you every time!

-- Kit

• Kit G (4/20/2011)

Tom.Thomson (4/20/2011)

True story:

Depends on which type of rounding you're talking about. Bank rounding? Architectural rounding? Insurance company rounding? Here's a neat little article on the different types of rounding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounding

And yes, I am pointing to the Not-So-Trustworthy Wikipedia.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/21/2011)

Kit G (4/20/2011)

Tom.Thomson (4/20/2011)

True story:

Depends on which type of rounding you're talking about. Bank rounding? Architectural rounding? Insurance company rounding? Here's a neat little article on the different types of rounding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounding

And yes, I am pointing to the Not-So-Trustworthy Wikipedia.

Did she verify the cash register with the Abacus as well?

• WOTD#1: Tee. Gee. Eye. Eff.

WOTD#2: Vacation (as in I'm on next week!!! :hehe:)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (4/22/2011)

WOTD#1: Tee. Gee. Eye. Eff.

WOTD#2: Vacation (as in I'm on next week!!! :hehe:)

Don't eat too much Dinosaur BBQ. Have fun.

• Snow. Last Friday of the year

Viewing 15 posts - 4,231 through 4,245 (of 21,190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply