To Pin or not to Pin

• Hi,

I have a 100 tables database and about half are candidates for pinning, ie used reasonably frequently with an average of 100 rows in each table. I'm running sql2K on a dedicated server with 2Gb of memory.

Is pinning this number of tables, in my environment, excessive?

Cheers, Peter

• Most times caching will handle the job just fine as is better to allow. The tables if accessed very often will generally behaved as thou pinned without the downside of data access on other tables. I never suggest to pin.

Now that said I recently wrote an app that requires realtime data movement and quick login times. The tables are only related to the app on that SQL Server and are more than small enough to live in memory with the applications data structures so for speed requirements I pinned those tables. But again I don't have any table except a logining table on that server, that other table is inserts and truncates only with no indexes, the data is moved periodically to a reporting server just before truncation.

I would suggest if you are looking for performance and you have minimal page faults now that pinning may help just keep an eye on the page faults as you go and start from most important to least. Consider those that have inserts and indexes with inserts,updates and deletes last as they create heavier loads than others.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply