To OTAP or not to OTAP?

• Currently I am working in an organization, where development and production databases reside in the same SQL Server instance. The main reason for this is ease of management: updates for SQL Server need be applied to less instances and it is easier to move developed objects from D to P...

License costs is mentioned in passing, but they acknowledge this is not a big issue.

Security and autorization is also not an issue, because the people responsible are very careful and know what tehy are doing...

I am looking for arguments in favour of an OTAP, and I realize it si not neccesserry to go to extremes if you ahve a small orgainazarion. My main argument is, I am a fanatical believer in Murphy. Sooner or later the risks of having different environments merged will come to frutations. To me lessening risks is paramount.

What are the thoughts of collegues? Always OTAP? Or it depends on circumstances? Or not really neccesserry?

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• I'm not sure what you are asking here. OTAP makes no sense to me.

• Lynn Pettis (11/20/2012)

I'm not sure what you are asking here. OTAP makes no sense to me.

Lynn, I think he is refering to a DTAP (Development, Test, Acceptance and Production) in Dutch OTAP (Ontwikkeling, Test, Acceptatie and Productie).

• FreeHansje (11/19/2012)

Currently I am working in an organization, where development and production databases reside in the same SQL Server instance. The main reason for this is ease of management: updates for SQL Server need be applied to less instances and it is easier to move developed objects from D to P...

License costs is mentioned in passing, but they acknowledge this is not a big issue.

Security and autorization is also not an issue, because the people responsible are very careful and know what tehy are doing...

I am looking for arguments in favour of an OTAP, and I realize it si not neccesserry to go to extremes if you ahve a small orgainazarion. My main argument is, I am a fanatical believer in Murphy. Sooner or later the risks of having different environments merged will come to frutations. To me lessening risks is paramount.

What are the thoughts of collegues? Always OTAP? Or it depends on circumstances? Or not really neccesserry?

My personal opinion is not to place a development database with a production database on the same server. In your case the databases are on the same SQL Server instance what I consider "Extremely" dangerous. You mentiones that "Security and authorization are not an issue, because the people responsible are very careful and know what they are doing...", that will not be good enough to me. What will happend when one of those people working on the databases will make a mistake? Or can you guarantee that they will never make a mistake?

• Tnx for answering, and apologies for the confusion: it is as Ignacio explains, I used the Dutch equivalent of DTAP.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply