To make DTS packages local

• I have a requirement where i have to convert some DTS packages to local packages. Is there a way i can directly covert a DTS into a local packages or i have a build new local packages right from scratch?

• write vbscript task and reset object name to empty

• If you're looking to save the DTS packages to a local server, then once you have opened the package for editing, you can select "Save As..." and tell it the new server you wish to use (your local machine) for its new home.

If you're looking to save the packages as a file, you can do the save as also, but this time tell it you want to create a "structured storage file". (Under localtion list).  Then just pick where and what you want to call your package and you're done.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

• i have .dts files on my server itself. these are the dts which i want to save as a local package on the same machine.

The requirement is not to have any *.dts files on the database server.

• OK, so if I understand you correctly, you want the DTS packages saved to the Local Store on your SQL Server, rather than have them as individual files on the server.

If that's the case, then from within Enterprise Manager, you can navigate to Data Transformation Services and right click and select "Open Package...".  Select the first file and open that.  Once open, select Save As from the Package menu and change the Location to "SQL Server" - specify the server and the login information you need to access the server and click OK.

Your package will then be saved in the local store on your server.  You will see your packages appear under the "Local Packages" section under DTS.

Repeat this step for each of your files and they will all be on your server.

The server keeps all of your packages in the MSDB database.  So as long as you make sure this is in your backup schedule, you will be backing up any of the changes you make as you go along.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

• DTSBackup2000, available for free download at http://www.sqldts.com, will save multiple packages at once.  That saves you the trouble of opening and saving each package individually.

Greg

Greg

• I didn't think of that.  But Greg is right, using this tool, you can select a source of "Structured Storage File" and then check the option "Select Multiple Files".  Pick your DTS files and set your destination to the SQL Server you want to store them on.

Make sure to click the "Select All" button on the bottom of the main window so that all of your files get moved.

This will be much quicker than my original suggestion.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply