tnsname in oracle9i

• Hello there, i want to ask some question, but the question i'd ask may not be related to sqlserver. i'm currently using sql language available in oracle9i product, where the problem is:

i dont know what is meant by "TNSNAME" , and how to define a service name. If this problem has similar solutions in sqlserver, some help might help me . but if there is no similar solutions a true solution relating to oracle products is a miracle to me!

hope some guys will help me. thanks.

• a tnsnames.ora file is a text file that contains information such as server name, database name, username, passowrd etc that you need in order to connect to oracle to run something like sql net. It is usually located in ORACLE_HOME\NETWORK\ADMIN.

For more details, you are better off going to an oracle site. There are loads of examples out there.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• Hi,

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File

<ORA_SID> =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <hostname&gt(PORT = 1521))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVICE_NAME = <ORA_SID&gt

)

)

• If I remember correctly TNS stands for Transparent Network Substrate.  An Oracle service name is associated with an Oracle database (instance).  You create a service name when you create a new database.  To access this database from a client (which can be on the same machine as the database itself) you need to create a net service name which points to the service name. The net service name together with the service name is stored in file tnsnames.ora.  If everything is set up correctly and everything is running nicely  - no details here - you will get a positive response from the command tnsping <net service name>.

Cheers,

Win

• HI,

asallam faiz,

Tnsnames.ora is a connection storage file.In this file u have to define the oracle database name (sid),Portno by default 1521 , then protocol if u run oracle on windows with tcp then u have to define TCP or if use unix then u can use tcp or spx or pipe

this file basically relates with listener.ora to communiucate with the database(datafile).becasue listener .ora listen to the jobs given to the server.

if u want practically and u have problem then u can ask me .

i am a oracle dba oracle8i but shifted to SQL server now.

from

sufian

• i'm fariz.

Thanks for the information. But there are still a troubleshoot as i get in to the sql plus program. ive read the tnsname.ora file as you all suggested it, when i used the id and names as stated, i got the error message as follows:

ERROR:

ORA-12541: TNS:no listener

what is meant by 'no listener'. thanks for your helps.

• Hello Fariz,

The server you tried to contact must have a listener process. This process (listener) will spawn a server process as you connect to the instance.

This error means that there is not listener process on that machine (server) listening on the port you specified in the tnsnames.ora file.

Hope it will help,

Regards,

Carl

• Please post these questions in the appropriate forum. This one is for the Question of the Day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply