TLOG GROWING VERY LARGE

• Hi,

I have implemented mirroring (high safety without automatic failover) and replication (snapshot replication) simaltaneously on the same database. But my tlog started growing very large which cause backup file to be grown as well. I take full backup everyday once.

What can I do to prevent tlog from growing? Is there any inconsistency with my backup plan?

Please help me to sort out the problem.

Regards,

Akbar

• shohelr2003 (12/22/2012)

I take full backup everyday once.

That's not enough.

Please read through this - Managing Transaction Logs[/url]

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • That's not enough.

Please suggest me what can I do to prevent tlog from growing. In addition to, I need your support to develop an effective backup plan. What activities should my backup plan include?

I am also reading your two links.

Please help me.

• Taking full backup once in a day is not enough, you need to take backup of transaction log as well to truncate the log file. Once the transaction log backup is taken, the inactive portion of the log (all its log records) will be captured in the log backup.

Link given by Gail Shaw is good one to understand how the transaction log works.

Regards,
    Ravi.

• Imagine that I take one full backup at the beginning of the day and later on take four log backups at two hours interval and again take another full backup at the end of the day.

How is this backup plan? Please suggest me.

• shohelr2003 (12/22/2012)

That's not enough.

Please suggest me what can I do to prevent tlog from growing. In addition to, I need your support to develop an effective backup plan. What activities should my backup plan include?

Please read the articles I referenced.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• shohelr2003 (12/23/2012)

Imagine that I take one full backup at the beginning of the day and later on take four log backups at two hours interval and again take another full backup at the end of the day.

How is this backup plan? .

Does it allow you to restore the DB and meet your RPO and RTO requirements? If so, it's fine. If not, it's inadequate.

There's no one-size-fits-all backup plan, it has to be tailored to meet the requirements for recovery for that DB.

Gail Shaw

• Taking full backups do not truncate the logs, log backup does. I have faced this issue sometime back and log backups at appropriate intervals resolved the issue as well. You can check 'log_reuse_wait_desc' in sys.databases. Go through the link Gilas has mentioned, it will help to identify and solve your issue.

• Thanks All. My problem has been solved. Now I take log backup regularly. It prevents tlog to be grown abnormally.

Special thanks to Gail Shaws' links.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply