Tivoli full backup failing on SQL cluster

• Does anyone have any experience backing up SQL Server clusters across the network using Tivoli?

We started doing this recently and while we have no problems with log backups on the cluster or log/full backups on non-clustered servers the full backup always fails on the clusters.

Unfortunately it's our network guys who administer the Tivoli software so I don't know too much about how Tivoli works.  As I understand it the main Tivoli server holds all the schedules and at the appointed time will put the backup job for a specific server in a queue.  This means that the backup may occur immediately at that time or it might be as much as an hour later depending on the length of the queue.  Once it reaches the beginning of the queue Tivoli executes a batch file located on the SQL Server cluster that initiates the SQL backup to a virtual device which in this case is a tape drive on the LTO.

Originally we'd see an entry in the SQL log stating that the backup failed.  However, after they made some changes to the batch file it is still failing but now there is no indication in the SQL log that a backup was even attempted.

Both SQL Clusters are configured identically in an active/passive setup.

Suggestions?

"I met Larry Niven at ConClave 27...AND I fixed his computer. How cool is that?"
    (Memoirs of a geek)

• I can't help with your question, but there's currently another thread concerning Tivoli software and doing backups. I posted a link to your thread on the other one and asked them to check out your post.

Here's the link to the other Tivoli thread.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=24&messageid=103556

-SQLBill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply