Tips on work productivity for the database developer?

• Does anyone have any interesting tips/hacks that make them really productive with SQL Server?

Right now what's irking me is the 10 to 30 minute wait between running a query or stored procedure, and getting the results back for review. I have a few different projects I'm working on, but switching between them is fraught with problems, because it's hard to keep track of exactly what I'm working on. I try to keep good notes, but I could definately use some tips.

My long term goal is to have some better development environments (one with a small subset of data on which everything should be really speedy, the other an environment that's as close to production as possible). But I thought I'd open a discussion to see what ideas everyone else has.

Any and all productivity tips welcomed!

thanks,

Sylvia

• Hello Sylvia,

If you are waiting 10 to 30 minutes for each test execution to complete, then why not make your improved Dev environment a short term goal i.e. invest the effort now to set it up and therefore save time (and pain) in the long term. Do you have any particular issues in setting up the Dev environment?

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• Hi Sylvia

As John wrote; setup a dev-environment with smaller database(s).

Our production databases are between 5 and 500GB. Anyway, we have small development databases with about 500MB, QA databases with some GB and some production copies to check the performance. This allows a fast development and ensures the performance validation at the end of the functional work.

Greets

Flo

• Thanks for the ideas, Flo and John. I will probably think more seriously about creating another smaller development environment. It's always a trade-off - will the improvements that I make now be worth it, or would I be better off spending time working on the many other problems?

Any other tips on generally being more productive in sql server?

thanks,

Sylvia

• Hello Sylvia,

Have you had a look at any of the Third Party Tools on the market? I am thinking of ones such as RedGate’s SQL Compare and Data Compare. There are equivalent tools from other vendors e.g. xSQL.

I find these very useful in an environment where you have Dev, Test and Live Servers. For example you can use SQL Compare to analyse Schema differences between your environments, or Data Compare to check that after a software upgrade, the application code produces the same results as beforehand.

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• Does every query you run take 10 to 30 minutes to run? Not trying to be impertinent, but is there a possibility for query tuning to decrease the runtime?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply