Tip for getting trifocals made for computer monitor use.

• I want to share with those of you advancing in years something I learned over 40 years ago regarding trifocal lenses for using with computer monitors.  I was in my 30's when I developed the need for trifocal lenses.  When I got my first pair I soon discovered that the 'standard' narrow band of focus for the trifocal (midrange) part of the lens was considerably narrower than the typical monitor or laptop screen so I could not see the complete screen without moving my head up and down.  My eye doc had a good laugh at my request to make the trifocal band wider,  and said it would cause me to need to look over it all the time so he suggested a separate pair of frames and lenses for computer use.  But he did the change and had my trifocal part increased to one centimeter in height.   This was the best thing I ever did for screen viewing as it requires much less head and neck movement.   The bifocal part still works well for keyboard and reading documents on my desk.

When I had a surgical lens implant, I went with a single vision lens which is considerably less expensive.  I can do such things as driving and watching tv/movies with no glasses at all if I want to, but actually wear my triple vision lens all the time  since they work well for reading, screen work, and normal activities without needing multiple pairs of glasses.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I hadn't thought of getting a wider band for the midrange.  For the longest time, I had been resisting bifocals. Finally, in my 40's, my ophthalmologist said that I wouldn't get a wider range of vision without trifocals. I went with progressive trifocals, since at the time, I was doing I was doing my own car maintenance, such as oil changes. That gave me close up for working with tools, midrange, and distance.

I'm nearsighted and it annoys my wife when I take off my glasses to read. She wants me to get reading glasses. Each time, I ask "Why? I can read fine without glasses."; it would be another pair of glasses to keep track of.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply