Tiny Storage

• Nanodots

Bigger, faster, that is where we're going with storage. In the pursuit of more capacities, especially for those data hungry SQL Servers we all run, there are scientists looking at nanodots to help. These are tiny magnets that, well who am I kidding. I have no idea what they really are, but they apparently could have 100x the capacity of today's drives.

and I caught this story about a memory circuit with an extrapolated capacity of 100GB cm2. Granted when this gets into production it won't quite be as dense, but who knows what capacity flash drives we'll be carrying in 10 years.

I'm not sure what this will mean for the database servers of the future. I'm just hoping that backup capacities and transfer rates can start to catch up with the tremendous storage rates that we're seeing in today's database servers.

• This does raise some interesting security questions. Just as the miniaturization - and reduced costs - of weapons systems tilts the balance towards smaller organizations (including terrorist groups), the miniaturization and reduced costs of storage devices will make it even easier in the future for someone to walk out of BofA HQ (for example) with all of BofA's data in their shirt pocket. Not that we don't have these kinds of issues today, but it looks like this kind of thing will just get easier in the future.  

• I don't know about you but I'm going to need this type of storage to carry the editorial musings of Steve Jones into perpetuity.

• I'm wordy, but not that wordy

At least I hope not.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply