Timeouts - where do I start?

• I've got some Siebel consultants busy importing data into a new sql box. They've been complaining about inconsistent performance and timeouts. My initial reaction was that it was there software.. however I've seen the problem and its definitely on the sql server side. Heres are some details:

- SQL Box: Compaq ML370, 1.2 GB ram, 1 ghz processor

- siebel database: 500 mb

The statement that I've just seen a timeout on was the following:

UPDATE dMmarriotUTtakeonTXN SET Status = 4 WHERE (Status = 0 or Status is null) AND ID = 44068

This table has about 50k records and it has an index on ID. The update also only acts on 1 record.

Looking at their log the process flies through - 4 or 5 transactions a second until suddenly a timeout. I cannot find any similarities between timeouts. There is nothing else running on this box, log backups etc are not running, theres plenty of disk space allocated, nothing funny happening on the network, no error message in the logs.

Any ideas on where I even start trying to look at this?

thanks

Craig

• Have you tried tracing the transaction through SQL Profiler?

-JG

-JG

• Also what version of SQL are you using?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• We're running 2000 SP2. The client (VB app) is using MDAC 2.7.

I have not yet tried doing a trace. I dont think this will reveal anything as I doubt its not a sql query type problem but something else.. but am I willing to try it.

• You should be able to capture enough info to show you where the timeout is occuring, if the transaction process and it is not timeing out in on the SQL Side the profile will help you rule out SQL Server.

-JG

-JG

• I had similar problems. I foud out that the clusterd index was broken in some way..... Try thge following. Deleted all indexes from the table and recreate them. It worked for me.

• Check SQL Client Network utility and change default network library. That should do it.

Give me a fish, you feed me for a day! Teach me to fish, you feed me for a life time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply