timeout expired error in transactional replication

• I have 3 servers involved in transactional replication:

Server A - Publisher

Server B - Distributor

Server C - Subscriber.

A SQL Consultant set up a transactional replication that produced incorrect records. We decided to restart our own replication. So created a publication and a subscription. Now the snapshot is finished OK. The distribution agent says 'Connecting to subscriber C...' and ended up with an error:

Timeout expired

(Source: ODBC SQL Server Driver (ODBC); Error number: S1T00)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The error details showed last command was:

{call sp_MSget_repl_commands(44, ?, 0, 7500000)}

This is a very small table in publication. network connection is fine because the existing replication is still moving data without problem. Have played around with different logins and passwords. They didn't work. We're puzzled. Wonder if anybody has seen similar problems and has a solution?

• Im curious how your consultant configured replication to end up with bad data?

Anyway, troubleshoot it like you would any timeout. You can add a setting to the distribution agent (-outputverboselevel I think) and have it log to a file so you can see what it is doing, or just profile it.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• This problem was occurring on my replication as well. I found that at the end of the push/pull, that the indexes for all the tables were being created and causing the time out. The fx for this was to go in to the distribution agent and create a new agent profile and increase the query timeout value. In my case I increased the time out to 3 hours or 10800 seconds.

Rob DeMotsis

Sr. SQL Server DBA

Pier 1 Imports, Inc.

Rob DeMotsis
    Sr. SQL Server DBA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply