timeout expired

• This connection timeout problem occurs intermitently. I've reviewed my SQL Server 2000 configuration, applied SP1, tried all manner of connect strings and I still get 'connection failed SQLState: 'S1T00' SQL Server Error:0'[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout Expired. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue!! Plesase !!

• Where are you getting this? EM or QA or somewhere else?

You might have some network problems.

I'd try it from the local console of the server and see what happens. You can also increase the timeout.

In EM: Tools\Options, Advanced tab. Change the timout value.

In QA: Tools\Options, Connections tab.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Or you might need to set it on your ADO/RDO/DAO connection.

Andy

• Or you might need to set it on your ADO/RDO/DAO connection.

Andy

• Also, how are you configured to talk to that server from the client? Named Pipes or TCP/IP? Make sure in Client Network Utility that TCP/IP is set higher than Named Pipes. Named Pipes works great for connecting on the same server, but TCP/IP is far better when connecting over a network. You'll get timeout errors due to the overhead of Named Pipes when you won't with TCP/IP. This is something we keep stressing to a particular development group where I work. It solves their timeout issues from a COM+ server every time.

K. Brian Kelley

bk@warpdrivedesign.org

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Hi, Alain, did you resolve the problem?

I am having the same problem that you. I´ll tell you what do I do. I have a lot a stored procedures and I called them from visual using ADO connection, I didn´t have any problemas until now, I have a sp that deletes a lot of tables, but one of them has a lot of registries, and I think that with that table failed the connection, it is because I put it alone and I have the same problem. I really don´t know what is the problem coud any body help me PLEASE I am desperate.

Thanks for you time and help

Have a great day to everybody 😀

ISC. Ana Laura Mojica

Ana

• Ana - have you tried running the same query in Query Analyzer, taken a look at the query plan?

Andy

• I wrote the query in the Query Analyzer and didn´t have any problem.

Then I passed it to a sp and start calling it from VB

I take a look to the query plan right now.

Thanks Andy I´ll let you know what happend.

Thanks [:-)]

Ana

Edited by - anamoji on 10/23/2001 4:36:38 PM

Edited by - anamoji on 10/23/2001 5:04:12 PM

Ana

• Hi Andy, somebody told me that I should try with TRUNCATE, does it can works??

Thanks 😀

Ana

Edited by - anamoji on 10/23/2001 5:03:18 PM

Ana

• Truncate is excellent if you want to remove ALL the data. One thing to remember - if you're using an identity column it will reset the seed!

Andy

• Somebody told me that the timeout expired error that I have, could fix it installing Service Pack on VB and mdcatype, do you think it could work with this?

Thanks for your time and help

Have a great day everybody 😀

Ana

Ana

• Lots of things might fix it, I really encourage you to find out why and where it's failing first if at all possible. Investigate the ideas we've offered we first, profile the execution, etc.

Andy

• Well, the service pack and mdactype didn´t work, I have the same problem. I am trying to search with everything you are giving me but I´ve a lot of people on me because this is urgent.

Ana

Ana

• Hi Andy I try with TRUNCATE in the QA but I got this error:

Cannot truncate table 'DEMAND_SHPMNT' because it is being referenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint.

and if I try it from VB I get:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Changed database context to 'adw_fpp'.

My sp is:

select @strSql = 'use adw_fpp

TRUNCATE TABLE DEMAND_SHPMNT;'

exec (@strsql)

quote:

Truncate is excellent if you want to remove ALL the data. One thing to remember - if you're using an identity column it will reset the seed!

Andy

Ana

Ana

• Hi Andy I try with TRUNCATE in the QA but I got this error:

Cannot truncate table 'DEMAND_SHPMNT' because it is being referenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint.

and if I try it from VB I get:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Changed database context to 'adw_fpp'.

My sp is:

select @strSql = 'use adw_fpp

TRUNCATE TABLE DEMAND_SHPMNT;'

exec (@strsql)

Thanks 😀

quote:

Truncate is excellent if you want to remove ALL the data. One thing to remember - if you're using an identity column it will reset the seed!

Andy

Ana

Ana

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply