Time out errors

• Hi Guys,

If an application is reflecting timeout errors but there are no backups running, the network is fine and the data and log files are within normal parameters, what else could be the cause of the errors?

This is not a problem I am facing it is just a question.

Thanks for the help

• there are many factors which can cause timeout of a query.

e.g.

1. Table locking, which mean one transaction is hold locks on the table/row the other query requires.

2. query / batch process took more time to execute then mentioned.

3. If case of multiple dbs on the server, due to workload your query can take time to execute longer then expected.

4. adhoc queries, means running adhoc queries which take alot of resources from the application.

hope it helps.

• As stated above, there can be number of reasons for time-out. Best possible way to investigate it to check which page is getting time-out or all pages are giving same error.

If whole website is not running, then you must execute following queries for random check

Sysprocesses for Blockedby and Open_Tran columns

In case of any single page is not running, Then get information for query or procedure running behind that page and try to execute it in SSMS.

Mentioned steps will help you to constraint the troubleshooting area and you can spend your time on right track of investigation.

Regards,

Rajan Ahuja

• Hi Guys, I have thought of the concurrency issues on the querying side.

If the network is fine would there be any other reasons for time out issues on connection?

If the network is fine would there be any other reasons for time out issues on connection?

can you share some detail for this?

• I have no more details since its not a situation I am facing at the moment.

It is just a question I have to answer.

I am just trying to determine if there can be any other issues related to time out errors other thatn concurrency issues.

• ok for this i have shared a few situation which can caused you can take them as a starting point and some research of your own and hopefully you will get a list you are looking for

• Yes I will.

Thanks for all the suggestions I appreciate.

• Remember, timeouts are a client-side issue. The problem, most of the time, is likely related to resource contention within SQL Server. But it isn't limited to that. I've seen network issues caused by bad switches and incorrectly configured routers. I've seen client apps with incorrect connection strings. There are lots of places where things can go wrong. You have to carefully observe how your SQL SErver is behaving. Do you have resource contention and blocked processes? If not, the problem may lie outside SQL Server.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply