Time on our SQL Server Server is incorrect and we want to ajust it

• We run in a virtual environment and the time on our SQL Server Server is about 5 minutes fast. Our Systems Admin wants to correct this problem. I'm just wondering if there are any pitfalls to look for regarding SQL Server(i.e. Transaction Log running into the same time as it did previously, etc etc). I've never run into this problem and would appreciate any advice that you can provide.

Thanks in advance.

• I'm not totally sure, but I don't suppose it'll be any worse than when the clocks go back an hour, will it?

John

• Well anything that pulls system time will jump by that time, it might also tweak with scheduled job runs which might not be a big deal if it's a 5 minute job.

• The log will be fine. It goes by it's own stamps (LSN), so transactions will be in order. What might be weird is that times you track from getdate() or sysdatetime() or other methods might show some weird jump.

• In my experience this is caused by an incorrect time server setting. The consequences of resetting the time are SQL jobs may be missed  or repeated. Auditing may become invalid. Resetting the time is one thing but ensuring everything is in sync is another. If you have Windows scheduled tasks they may not run either. The solution is always to set the reliable time source to the domain controller and ensure that is connected to a global time service. Can't recall any issues with TLog as LSN seemed to be OK.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply